1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dinosaur Cll planning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jinxit, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Hi everyone, I am an nqt nursery teacher and we are doing the topic dinosaurs this half term but I cant seem to get my head around the planning. Im doing Harry and his bucketful of Dinosaurs for my CLL circle times but am not sure how to break it down each day. My school is using walt and wilf which I have never used in Early Years.
    Had anyone got any ideas what things they would do with a book each day other than reading it and asking the children's questions. My head is very keen on having 20% teacher and 80% children and making sure what the children's outcome is. I've used development matters before but am not sure how to break it down. Feeling abit blue about it all.

2. Hi everyone, I am an nqt nursery teacher and we are doing the topic dinosaurs this half term but I cant seem to get my head around the planning. Im doing Harry and his bucketful of Dinosaurs for my CLL circle times but am not sure how to break it down each day. My school is using walt and wilf which I have never used in Early Years.
    Had anyone got any ideas what things they would do with a book each day other than reading it and asking the children's questions. My head is very keen on having 20% teacher and 80% children and making sure what the children's outcome is. I've used development matters before but am not sure how to break it down. Feeling abit blue about it all.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Chin up, jinxit. You're human and you're an NQT - an improbable mixture, perhaps, but one that even the harshest HT has to recognize.
    Why on earth are you being asked to do WALT and WILF in the nursery? Are you actually being asked to do this with three-year-olds?
    That's barmy.
    Do you need to make a topic last for half a term? Is that in line with following the children's interests?
    As for Harry, I'd say use it for a week or two of linked activities in other areas of the curriculum but don't flog it till it''s dead. There are plenty of dinosaur books [non-fiction too] out there and you can mix them in with all the other lovely books you read to your class on a whim because they're fun.

4. Thnks inky. They expect me to do WALT and WILF for my carpet sessions on Literacy and Numeracy which I do everyday, Ive the book Harry and the Dinosaurs but finding it hard to plan for my carpets sessions apart from reading it and roleplaying it within my 15min slot.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

It would be awfully sad if some of children died of boredom.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

It wouldn't be your fault!

Sorry, my sarcasm got the better of me there. The comment was not a reflection on you.

7. I am just amongst dinosuar planning in mixed rec and year 1 so ask away. We have used http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ten-Terrible-Dinosaurs-Paul-Stickland/dp/1857142128/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    for both literacy and numeracy. We looked at recognising numbers and couting objects and also wrote our own counting rhyming (having looked at some other more well known ones too). We have made dinosaur number cards and sorted plastic dinosaurs by colour or type.
    We also read harry and the dinosaurs romp in the swamp (which would also link to picnics btw) and designed and made our own dinosaur small world, planted grass seeds in an old tyre which we played with dinosaurs in. Our role play areas have been a dinosaur cafe, dinosuar juice bar (linked to capacity) and a dentist - linked to Harry and the dinosaurs go rahhhhhhhhhhh.
    Next week we are reading Harry and the pop up dinosaurs and will make our own kites and developing a windy day box to add to our continuous provision. Harry and the dinosaurs united has some good numeracy links - patterns etc on the football scarf etc
    Harry and the robots links to hospital role play and designing and making own robots (we did junk modelling).
    We have also used lots of very simple dinosaur non-fiction books to find facts about dinosaurs.
    Harry and the dinosaurs play hide and seek is fab for colour recognition and for learning 2d shapes.
    Harry and the dinosaurs go to school is FAB as it looks at a little boy called Jack who has worries - lovely for PSE
    Harry and the snow king will link nicely to freezing and melting, changing materials etc.
    WE used Harry and the dinosaurs at the museum to learn our address and will be visiting a museum next week.
    Hope that helps a bit and sorry to have rambled on - my class are nutty for Harry books (as is my 3 year old son - which I have to say can be a bit draining morning noon and night!!)
    as to walt and wilf for literacy in nursery I would say it is to develop childrens range of books and leave it as that!
    HTH

8. sorry rambled a bit and sorry for the typos!! 2d shape book should read harry and the dinosuars have a very busy day! (left a space to remind me to go and check the bookcase and then forgot!)

9. me again! also used a simple biscuit recipe which I converted to multlink measures and we made dinosaur biscuits, There is a cool dinosaur sandwhich cutter - search amazon or e-bay - which will make 2 dinosaurs from one sandwhich!

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've also seen this in the Betterware catalogue - they fit together perfectly and don't waste bread.

11. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

I haven't and wouldn't use WILF with nursery-aged children. Perhaps you need to have a word with the head and tell him/her how inappropriate it is.
    I think you need to vary the activities more and move away from using just 1 book. Personally I don't like Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs and I'm sure there are children (I'm thinking mainly girls...) who don't as well. Doesn't seem fair then does it, when every group activity is focussed on that story. Only 2 or 3 group activities out of the ten we do each week would be directly linked to the core story and the others would be songs, rhymes, A N Other story, dance, movement, magic bag games etc etc any of which could be linked to the theme of dinosaurs, but don't have to be.

12. I agree we shouldnt be using WALT and WILF but its now the planning for the whole school. My actual 15min carpet sessions have to be 20% teacher and 80%children so I feel I cant just sit down and learn a nursery rhyme or share a story with the kids and see where it goes. They want to see the all children 'doing' something on the carpet. I even have to use assessment for learning too. Oh well I have to keep going.
    What is a magic bag game? This sounds interesting.

13. Have you read Tyrannosaurus Drip by Julia Donaldson? Might be more appropriate for nursery.