1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dining out this evening

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Feb 6, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

We've been in the habit of shopping for the week on Sunday for some time but today the trip into town had to be aborted as the trains weren't running due to engineering work. Rummaging around in the freezer produced some packs of sausages, various previous meals I'd saved but hadn't labelled that looked like they'd take all day long to thaw out and a pack of mince that I have no vegetables to accompany.
    So it's off to the pub this evening. I called in there yesterday to recover from walking the dog and waiting for our takeaway to be cooked. I studied the items on the specials board, some of which I trust will no longer be available but replaced with a Sunday roast. The thing that caught my attention more than the main part of the dish were the accompanying veg.
    Scampi chips and peas
    Bacon and onion suet pudding with mash and peas.
    Smoked haddock, poached egg, chips, peas and tomato.
    Pasty, chips and beans.
    Vegetable Wellington, new potatoes and salad.
    Goats cheese and red pepper tart, salad and new potatoes.
    Curry, rice and poppadoms.
    Sweet and sour chicken, rice and prawn crackers.

The last 2 I would touch from experience, knowing they'll be unlike the real thing. Scampi I've never been overly fond of. The bacon pudding could be in with a chance although I doubt it will be a patch on what my mum made. I can't get my head round why you'd have chips and tomato with smoked haddock.
    I know it's a bit of trouble to offer a range of veg and chips and peas are far easier, but I can't get my head round why such places don't encourage people to eat out more frequently by offering something that's a bit more special. Instead of viewing this evening as an enjoyable and romantic night out with my darling, I anticipate being punished for not shopping yesterday.
    Oh well, at least they have a good range of real ales on offer.

2. modelmaker

We've been in the habit of shopping for the week on Sunday for some time but today the trip into town had to be aborted as the trains weren't running due to engineering work. Rummaging around in the freezer produced some packs of sausages, various previous meals I'd saved but hadn't labelled that looked like they'd take all day long to thaw out and a pack of mince that I have no vegetables to accompany.
    So it's off to the pub this evening. I called in there yesterday to recover from walking the dog and waiting for our takeaway to be cooked. I studied the items on the specials board, some of which I trust will no longer be available but replaced with a Sunday roast. The thing that caught my attention more than the main part of the dish were the accompanying veg.
    Scampi chips and peas
    Bacon and onion suet pudding with mash and peas.
    Smoked haddock, poached egg, chips, peas and tomato.
    Pasty, chips and beans.
    Vegetable Wellington, new potatoes and salad.
    Goats cheese and red pepper tart, salad and new potatoes.
    Curry, rice and poppadoms.
    Sweet and sour chicken, rice and prawn crackers.

The last 2 I would touch from experience, knowing they'll be unlike the real thing. Scampi I've never been overly fond of. The bacon pudding could be in with a chance although I doubt it will be a patch on what my mum made. I can't get my head round why you'd have chips and tomato with smoked haddock.
    I know it's a bit of trouble to offer a range of veg and chips and peas are far easier, but I can't get my head round why such places don't encourage people to eat out more frequently by offering something that's a bit more special. Instead of viewing this evening as an enjoyable and romantic night out with my darling, I anticipate being punished for not shopping yesterday.
    Oh well, at least they have a good range of real ales on offer.

3. I'd have ordered the smoked haddock and ask for the chips to be substituted for the mash.

What did you order in the end? And was it palatable?

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

whereabouts do you live?

5. modelmaker

The evening transpired to a success after all. The pub stopped serving food at 4.30 so having wasted £8.00 for a pint of beer and a red wine to discover this we dined in the Chinese where we had an excellent meal.
    For starters mrs modelmaker chose a prawn cocktail and I had spicy salted squid with chilli and garlic, of which mrs modelmaker decided to eat half after she'd wolfed down her starter.
    Next, she had king prawns with asparagas and I'd chosen duck in orange sauce which I thought they did rather well, as did mrs modelmaker when she again nicked half of it.
    All in all, I got off a lot lighter than I'd expected. The meal came to just under £45 inclusive of a cheap bottle of wine.

I live in deepest Kent, Henriette.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

I went to Uni in deepest Kent and my mother and husband both hail(ed) from the fringes!