1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dill pickle recipe anyone?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Jul 4, 2012.

1. How Oma Leni taught me...
    if they are small, just leave whole, otherwise slice. Simmer in boiling, salted, water until slightly soft (not too soft, otherwise they go mushy). You need quite a good handful of salt, not just a measly teaspoon.
    Slice a large onion and put it in a bowl. Add the drained gherkins or sliced cucumber (they have to be on top of the onions but I can't remember why). Reserve the cooking water.
    Add some peppercorns and lots of dill (to taste) and a couple of bayleaves. Pour on the drained cooking water (it should still be boiling, however).
    Cover with a tight lid and leave overnight. Then drain and store in the fridge.
    This actually tastes much better than pickled with vinegar (although will not keep as long). It is an old recipe from Russia (she was from Schlesien and learnt it from her Grandmother, who was from somewhere remote in the vast depths of Imperial Russia).

2. I will give that a whirl, it sounds good.

I'll let you know...

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I haven't made dill pickles myself, but they featured in one of the Food Programme episodes where they were discussing fermented foods. The recipe they gave was very similar to celtic's except the cucumbers were used raw to get the crunch. The brine solution is fairly critical. Too litle salt doesn't work and too much prevents fermentation taking place. They recomended around 3.5 - 5%. You can start to try them after about a week. Once you are happy with them, keeping them in the fridge slows fermentation down to prevent them going off.

4. Thanks. That will be this weekend's project!