1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma with part-time member of department

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tyhopho, Dec 9, 2011.

1. bah - I did try putting line breaks in

2. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

If she is under pressure and can't cope why can't you be under pressure and unable to cope with additional teaching - because of your head of department responsibilities?

3. not sure i get what you are trying to say although i think it is in support :)

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I think he or she is trying to say that why can't you use the same excuse to get out of covering the class? Does being a HoD mean it will not be accepted as a reason?

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Make sure you work out your weekly teaching hours - I would assume whoever wrote the timetabling the first place would have taken into account your lack of tutor group when assigning you classes. The 10% PPA and any subject leader time must be adhered to.
    Personally, I find it absurd that they're pandering to a member of staff who just wants to "give it up". Surely management (working with you) should be ensuring everything is put in place so she can do the job? Or am I being optimistic about SMT?

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It seems a strange situation, with possibly more than meets the eye. Did your colleague come straight from lunch or was there an afternoon registration distracting her?
    Your account of your question seems reasonable enough, although it would seem that ITC is a sore point with her. (I have some sympathy with that at the moment, as I have had a new subject dumped on me with minimal negotiation).
    It sounds as if you need to stand up for yourself, possibly with the aid of your union rep. At the minimum you need a proper scheduled meeting with the director of learniing where you have prepared and written down your case so that you can negotiate properly.
    Best wishes,
    P

7. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

Is someone playing the threatening to go off sick with stress card?