1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma which is leading me to depression

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ethnic, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hi all Just felt I needed to post this. I am driving myself mad trying to come to as sensible decision. At present I am not working, having partly given up teaching (now almost 14 months) because I felt I needed to offer support to my parents, my mother has Alzheimer's you see. I have recently been awarded carers allowance, backdated to January, and I rent out my flat, so financially I seem to be getting on okay. I do very much want to get back into teaching though, as I miss it and I think living at home is having a detrimental effect on my own mental health. However, I do love my mother very much and I think it would send her 'over the edge' if I left. I can't seem to get any jobs in the UK and recently I have been offered a job overseas in the ME, It seems a great opportunity, good school, package etc. and part of me really, really wants this, but I worry for my mother. I have taught overseas before and really love it. My dilemma is this: do I sacrifice my career at the age of 44 for the sake of my mother and deal with the consequences of that choice like depression from being unemployed, depression and worrying that I will never get a job again, depression from living with a mentally ill parent, or do I take the job overseas and deal with those consequences - worrying about my mother and the worry that my leaving might send her 'over the edge'. Any advice would be welcome. I also posted this in the personal so sorry of you're reading this again.

E

2. Hi all Just felt I needed to post this. I am driving myself mad trying to come to as sensible decision. At present I am not working, having partly given up teaching (now almost 14 months) because I felt I needed to offer support to my parents, my mother has Alzheimer's you see. I have recently been awarded carers allowance, backdated to January, and I rent out my flat, so financially I seem to be getting on okay. I do very much want to get back into teaching though, as I miss it and I think living at home is having a detrimental effect on my own mental health. However, I do love my mother very much and I think it would send her 'over the edge' if I left. I can't seem to get any jobs in the UK and recently I have been offered a job overseas in the ME, It seems a great opportunity, good school, package etc. and part of me really, really wants this, but I worry for my mother. I have taught overseas before and really love it. My dilemma is this: do I sacrifice my career at the age of 44 for the sake of my mother and deal with the consequences of that choice like depression from being unemployed, depression and worrying that I will never get a job again, depression from living with a mentally ill parent, or do I take the job overseas and deal with those consequences - worrying about my mother and the worry that my leaving might send her 'over the edge'. Any advice would be welcome. I also posted this in the personal so sorry of you're reading this again.

E

3. Difficult decision but you need to do what is right for you. Only you will truely know that.