1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma - Two interviews on two days

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sunnies, Mar 16, 2016.

1. sunnies

sunnies New commenter

I have only just started looking for my next position and I have been lucky enough to secure two interviews from two applications. Unfortunately they are on consecutive days - has anyone else had this where their current Head has allowed them to go? I have emailed asking but I am guessing that only one day in a week would be allowed so one interview.
    If I have to choose, I'm really not sure which to go for - one is a side step - similar position in a really nice school with opportunities to progress in the future, and the other is a step up the career ladder in an equally lovely school. The 'side step' one is first and then next is on the following day.... I obviously may not get either but out of the two I'm more qualified for the side step, however the career ladder is the one I really want but not sure if I realistically stand a chance and the career progression that I would love. It really is head over heart. I'm home alone tonight so no-one to discuss it with so any professional advice would be great! Do I take a risk or stay safe??

ANY help or advice would be much appreciated.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Will the side step be the same pay or possibly less now that there are no national pay scales?
    Not sure that there is any rule about not having 2 in one week.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for those two interviews - you have shown that you are someone with a lot to offer.

But you are trying to cross a brifge before you come to it.

I certainly have allowed it.

Why should that be so?

Hope you didn't suggest to your Head that you would go to only one . . .

Now in case you haven't found this:

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Does calling for a reference mean that you've been shortlisted for interview? ***NEW ***

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

4. sunnies

sunnies New commenter

Many thanks for your kind posts. My original email draft did say I was only going to attend one, but then I changed it asking to attend two. Fingers crossed he will let me go to both.
    With regards to pay etc, I'm moving from State back to Indie, so I would like to say both would be higher but obviously not necessarily the case and wouldn't know until I had been successful.
    Playing devils advocate and say I am allowed to go to both, get offered the first want but really want the second, would it be acceptable to explain the situation or would that tell School A that I didn't really want it?? I've never been in this situation and so many things are buzzing around my head.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You can ask but they might then withdraw the offer. Would depend upon the competition and how much they wanted you.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes it would. And even if you accepted the next day, they might always remember that . . .

Another factor to bear in mind is that they may be hurrying to get the interviews in before the end of term.
    Many of their Indy applicants may have to give notice of one term, so they will be keen to get everything tied up now. If you asked to wait, they could withdraw the offer on the spot, so that they could offer it to number 2 before he got snapped up elsewhere.

You could try asking for 24 hours thinking time, without specifying why, but the second factor would still be in play . . . See the article below about the dilemma. ;)

Two interviews and a dilemma

Best wishes

7. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I thought if you were successful in an interview, you couldn't go for another - or else you would be wasting everyone's time.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's what it says above in the link . . . once you have accepted (not just been offered, accepted) one post, you may not go to another.

Best wishes

9. sunnies

sunnies New commenter

Thanks for all your comments - I did jinx myself and didn't get one officially and still haven't heard from the other one, they said they'd let us know today.... I'm presuming it's a no. I'm gutted to be honest. Feedback from the first one was that it was a great lesson and I interviewed well.....