1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma - PGCE MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by EdBern99, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Hello

My situation is thus: I've been accepted for PhD but no funds. I have no got a place on PGCE MFL. After school visits and time with teachers, I now realise I do not want to do PGCE.

However, I have tried for the last 8-10 months to find work and got nothing. I'm close to running out of cash. Heart says no to teaching (I want to work in academia) but head says if I've no other option, do PGCE.

What to do?

2. My advice would be that if your heart is not really in teaching, the PGCE would be a mistake. For everyone I know (myself included), the PGCE was a horrific year in terms of workload and stress and the only thing that got us through it is that teaching is an awesome job that we really wanted to do. However, if you do not think that teaching is for you, it's likely that you'll either end up leaving midway through the PGCE, exhausted and still in the same situation, or you'll see it through and then realise that teaching isn't for you and be in exactly the same situation as now.

Teaching is an amazing profession but it requires an enormous amount of emotional and time investment and, if it's something you don't want to do anyway, then it's not really something you can do halfheartedly.

Sorry, I know that sounds negative. You might end up loving it and realise that you were born to teach. In which case, great. But I think that doing a PGCE simply because there's no other option is generally not in that person's best interests, either financially, physically or mentally!

3. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

EdBern99, you asked the same questions a short time ago as JimEd70s and received all the responses you needed. Did you think you'd get a different response this time? In the words of Albert Einstein: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

I endorse everything Cicero says, because it is true and it reflects everything you were told before!

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I thought this looked familiar.