1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma - international school interview

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by moomoo185, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I would really appreciate some advice on this one. Ok so basically I have an interview for an international school. I really want this position, however my friend is also planning to relocate and teach abroad. We are hoping to get positions in the same school. She is a secondary school teacher and i'm primary. Anyway, should I mention this during the interview? And maybe tell them a bit about my friend and ask to pass on her cv? I dont want to be presumptuous about the job but IF i was offered it I could only take it if my friend got a position there or in a school nearby. Any advice please? Im new to all of this!!

2. Aaaaaw.. BFFs!!!

3. Would your friend do the same? Meaning would she only take a job overseas if you got a job there too? While it is nice to move with someone you know isn't it part of the adventure meeting new people? I wouldn't say you would only accept it if your friend could have a job too. It won't hurt to ask if there are any positions going at the secondary school. I know when I got offered my job they did ask if I knew anyone else that was looking for a job as they still had a few open positions. However what if they don't think your friend would be the right fit for the school or their isn't a position for her there? At the end of the day it's up to your friend to find her own job. Has she also been looking at schools in the same area? If you are in a position where you don't have a full time job at home you shouldn't just wait around for your friend. If the opportunity arises for you to work in an International school and it's something you really want to do just do it.If you wait around for someone to go with you may never go. Your friend can always come and visit during the holidays or alternatively find herself a job nearby,

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

Overseas education is an increasingly competitive field. If you set out with restrictions and stipulations you decrease your chances of finding a job. For economic reasons and reasons of stability, schools like teaching couples but if I understand correctly you and your friend are not a 'couple' so you probably wouldn't be viewed in the same positive light. Suggesting that you couldn't face life abroad without your friend's support might give the impression that if one of you caved in and did a runner back to Blighty the other would follow suit, which would be expensive for the school and disruptive for the children.
    Be open with the school before you go for the interview. It is unprofessional, and can get you a bad name on the circuit, to waste people's time and money by going through the interview process and then revealing that you will only accept a post if your friend can come too.
    A final bit of advice: Try to avoid sounding like one of those cheerful robot lifts in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It may amuse this 'guy' but it could irritate some other potentially helpful poster such as Mister Maker.

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

As usual, I have to agree with the wise words of the Sage of Walmington-on-Sea. Getting a good job in an international school is becoming more difficult because it appears that more youngsters are considering making the move and teaching overseas. (Perhaps it is better than being unemployed in the UK.) Therefore it is sensible to cast one's net as wide as possible and not to put any restrictions or conditions upon any job offers that may come one's way, particularly in view of the fact that it is now July and very late in the recruiting season to be looking for a job for September. Putting it bluntly but I hope not unkindly, beggars cannot be choosers.
    I must also agree with the Captain on the point of formality. We senior members of the profession have a penchant for stuffy things like proper grammar and old-fashioned nonsense such as correct punctuation. Please humour us in our dotage by leaving out the "cool" linguistic affectations.

6. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Apparently it indicates Best Friends Forever. It is an abbreviation beloved of teenage texters.

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Clearly I've been misinformed, as I understood BFF to mean something to do with best friends who fornicate using carnal knowledge.
    I wasn't going to enter this discussion, the OP clearly isn't ready for life in teaching if I read 'his'(?) message correctly.
    However, if this turns out to be a couple of lesbians who want to keep their relationship together, then it's a different ball game (perhaps no balls game). If the head is British then let them know you have a girlffirend / partner, and they could be understanding. If the OP is being a wet towel and has no relationship with this BFF then best not to mention it during the interview; indeed, best not going to the interview at all.

8. I need a bucket...

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

Is it possible to do it without carnal knowledge?

10. I think moomoo is a stalker. He/she has found out that the object of his/her stalkerdom is interviewing at this school and wants to follow them. [​IMG]