1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dilemma-help please!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sensei123, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Hi Cleo,
    You wouldn't be the first teacher to be" poached" from an agency by a school.
    At the end of the day you have to put yourself first.
    I would ask to speak to the person in school who sorts out the supply, and to explain that you would prefer it if they didn't mention that you were carrying out supply directly to the agency.
    The school could possibly get charged a finders fee by the agency if they find out so they won't be keen to put their foot in it.
    I'm naturally a very honest person, however working for supply agencies has taught me to economical with the truth and to make sure I put myself first, as the agencies have no real loyalty to teachers.
    Good luck and I hope you manage to get some more work.

2. Hi hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I am in a similar situation and just wondered if anyone knew how long you would have to wait between doing supply at a school through an agency and then working directly for a school? My situation is that I have had 2 days work through my agency since September so have decided to apply directly to schools and 2 of the schools I have already worked at say that they would like to have me on their books to do supply directly. I have worked at both schools through the agency but not for a while so would they still be entitled to charge the finders fee?
    Thanks

3. It's usually 6 months in most cases.

4. Yes, I've heard it's 6 months but the school I am talking about I've been at this week and I am booked next week too.
    I know I need to look after myself and although I feel slightly guilty about doing it behind the agencies back it won't stop me. I am not worried about this but the thing I am worried about is the agency finding out. It only takes a slip of the tongue from someone in the office and they find out. They give me 90% of my work so I would be stuffed if they strike me off their list. I am not sure about risking it.
    I've sent some letters out and surprise, surprise no reply! I haven't sent any more out as was going to wait and decide if I should take the risk and get sponsored by this school as I think if I can put this in my letter it will make me more attractive to schools in my next batch of letters.
    I'll think about the advice of being honest to them and talking to the person who does book the supply about it but it. Hubby thinks I shouldn't as it would put people off.