1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma/Frustration

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by VelvetChalk, Apr 25, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I have been lucky enough to have a weekly day in a school since January covering a teacher that works 4 days a week due to commute issues. The class is a lively EYFS class who are lovely apart from 2 boys that to be perfectly frank, make every Wednesday a real chore. One of the children has serious behavioural issues (destructive/escaping/shouting at teachers/harms other children) but he has not been assessed or recommended for anything to my knowledge. All my energy is spent keeping him from harm and running after him when I have the other children to look after (who are tired of it as well) and the TA in the class refuses point blank to chase after him and often leaves it up to me despite my other duties. I have asked about him and his issues and I keep getting the response 'not yet/maybe in year one' and his behaviour sactions are the same as the rest of the class/school which are ineffective. His mother came to speak to me about her concern for continuity (She reassured me however it wasnt personal and she was happy with me as his teacher) but brought up concerns that he ahsnt had a reading book for ages/no hand writing book and seemed to downplay his regular teacher a bit. Due to this I left note to the regular teacher explaining that we should form some sort of continuity for him. The other child has similar violent outbursts, seems to lack self control and also needs to be assessed (I have also brought this child up to much the same response). I love the school and staff but when i walk into the classroom each Wednesday which is often disorganised and no notes left for me ever and I see these children being ignored I get the feeling the Teacher is either stressed or (hopefully not) cant be bothered. What can I do? I feel quite powerless as a one day supply but I want action taken.

2. Is there another teacher -- preferably in EYFS -- who you can talk to about it? If not, then how about approaching the head teacher: not in order to get the permanent teacher into trouble, but because you are concerned and you need to know what to say to this kid's mum. The fact that a parent has been asking about it should spur them into action.
    Evidence is vital. Was your note still there the next week? If so, show it to the Head and explain that you didn't get a reply. If it's no longer there, I suggest you keep a written record of every time you raise the issue and whether you get any response or not. Just a brief, dated note shows that you are organised and are taking it seriously. Good luck.

3. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I find this odd as you are her regular replacement! So there is no communication between you both at all?

4. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I do see her sometimes and I have brought my concerns up but her reply is often 'oh thats how he is' shes very blaze about it all as if she expects it to be sorted next year. I reassured the mum that I would try and get a behaviour plan put into place with the regular teacher. The school is 1 form entry with a separately run nursery so theres no other EYFS person to talk to. She mostly leaves plans (except phonics which I have never seen) but never any notes apart from my first day in January. I without fail always leave a not for her every time leave and explain everything but she never gave me any groupings...Ive always had to discover myself through paperwork or my own assessment. I am only an NQT but I feel the class havent moved on very much either since I have been there.

5. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

If you have a good working relationship with the TA, why not ask her if the teacher got your note and if she expressed any thoughts about it? if you go straight to the Head, as you are only there for one day a week it might be seen as undermining the perm teacher. This mother has probably already had this conversation with her and may be asking you as she just hasn't had the answer she wants from the perm teacher! if I was you I would trust the judgement of your colleague for now.

6. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I posted that before I saw your reply!
    As where they should be at this time of year really depends on the EYFS ethos of the school. This year I have taught in loads of different reception classes and they are all structured differently. These range from all free play and focus groups to rotating groups of activies to what seems like ALL PLAY. In these schools the ability ranges are amazingly wide from the kids sitting down and independenlty writing sentences that would put an end of year one top group to shame to some that can't hold a pencil. And these are across the whole class!
    All you can do is your best!

7. You need a job share exercise book to leave in the classroom. Get one yourself and label it clearly. As that the class teacher jots in it the evening before you are in to summarise issues regarding behaviour, patents, attendance etc. really her planning should be available as well. Mention to head that as a few parents have spoken to you and that you want to ensure consistency in responses to them so this is what you propose. If after a few weeks there are only your notes then it should be clear to to head that there is an issue with the other teacher. The head should have copies of plans too I would imagine. Can you speak to SEN coordinator? There should definitely be some sort of monitoring form for these children too. Maybe even ask the head if you can meet with the class teacher at some point so you can actually sit down and discuss things.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It is the Teaching Assistant's job to assist you and follow your directions.
    You should be able to allocate the TA to work mostly with the two challenging pupils so that you can teach everyone in the class.
    Speak to the Head about just such a strategy for dealing with these two pupils, then you can direct the TA as decided knowing that the Head will back you up - or the Head can speak to the TA and direct her in the new schedule.

9. As you are in one day a week I would just go ahead and put my own strategies into place (discussing it with the head and TA first) You can only do the best for them when you are there and you want to give yourself an easier time. I would stop worrying about the other teacher and trying to communicate with her/him if they are not interested.
    If the class system is not working for these pupils, then they need an individual reward/behavioural system.Try and identify times of the day/events which spark off these pupils and then try and put strategies into place to minimise their disruption. Try and see what makes them tick, what they are into/enjoy and create the reward system based on this. You will need the TA's support so discuss it with her.
    As for reading books etc, I would try and allocate one of the days you are there as that child's day for changing reading books etc. It won't take the TA long to do this but if she is too busy with other tasks to do this, maybe get her to do it during the register or snack at a time when the child is not missing out on any 'actual learning' and perhaps a time where it would work well if they were having a bit of 1-1 attention and so not disrupting the entire class. That way it works for you, them and the rest of the class.

The running away is tricky but I agree with the TA, I don't run after a child because I find this is exactly what they want most of time, they want attention, and then it turns into a game for them which they then want to repeat. I would either send your TA to just stand and watch them to make sure they are safe or report to the head that the child is not in the classroom. However it depends as if this leads to them spending more time out of the class than in and they are doing it to get out of class then that would not work. As I don't believe in allowing children justto get out of class when they feel like it. I would only do it if I knew the child would quickly return if they were not getting the responce they want.