1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma- Advice Please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Montana_x, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi All,

Just browsing the jobs on my local county council website where I see a job advertised for a Teaching Assistant (Primary) in a school that I have recently started supplying at (as a teacher) and in a school that I really like and enjoy going to. Also, I am popular here and have been told that I am their first choice for supply.

I have just come back to teaching after taking an 18 month break and am really looking for a permanent job. Outside of school my partner and I are looking to get a mortgage but as a supply teacher that's a no-go for lenders. So my dilemma is, do I apply for this job- where it would be considerably less money (yet a regular income!) but in a school that I like and hope that the salary would be OK for lenders. Or, hold out for a teaching job where there's more money but seems increasingly difficult to get into as I've been away for a while?!

I would really appreciate any advice here and know that this is a teaching forum not a Mortgage Lenders one, but if anyone has been in my situation or wants to offer their thoughts it is all greatly appreciated!

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If you need a permanent job - not just for a mortgage but also to build up some "solid time" on your CV - I would apply. You can negotiate salary. Holding out for a better paid job could take a while, especially if you are in an area where there is a jobs drought. You're clearly liked at the school - so why not?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it is better to be employed, and in a school environment. Especially as you will not have teaching deadlines to abide by for resignations, so could apply for a job for january that is advertised in November, for example.

But:

Do be wary of how these salaries are often presented:

Should I become a TA?

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Thank you both for your sound advice!

On the pay front Theo, perhaps you could confirm for me the take home figure for this post as I am slightly confused... The Job is 15 hours a week and advertised on £17,372-£20,253 pa pro rata.

Thank you both again!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nope! No can do! Sorry - I don't have the information.

I would need to know how they are going to calculate it. How many hours for you as against what they consider a normal working week. How many weeks for you, as opposed to what they consider a normal working year.

As it says in my link above.

And you probably don't have the information either!

All you can do is ask them what would be the gross salary per annum. And that won't show you the take-home, as there will be deductions . . .

So, as I said, sorry I cannot!

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

For me it depends what is the priority, a mortgage or teaching. I would be wary that you don't lumber yourself with a mortgage that may cut you off from supply, where you seem to be building a good reputation... I would maybe give it a year. See if your supply work opens doors for you. This school like you, you are getting work, you must therefore be good. I feel supply is more of a shop window back into teaching than a TA.

If you take the TA job I worry that you may end up stuck in a low paid job to pay a mortgage, you will not build up experience of fronting a class, you wont get your name around what may cut you further off from teaching.

Without meaning to be harsh, I am not sure whether a p/t and probably term time TA role will give you the finances to outweigh the negatives.

I have struggled to get my point across a bit here, long day!! hope you get it!)

(I do readily accept that Theo and CWadd have a greater amount of knowledge and experience in such matters though, this is just my opinion)

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's fine - opinions are fine! Don't feel hesitant about having your say, there is no Right or Wrong in this case.

The thing about the TA post is that it can be very short term, while actually giving the OP recent school experience, albeit not in teaching. But when/if a suitable teaching post comes up - might even be a mat cover starting at half term - s/he can give notice and take the job if offered it.

And the thing about supply is that it can be so hit-and-miss. Not a secure basis for a financial plan.

But as I said, there's no Right or Wrong with this one, it's all opinion.

Best wishes

8. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi. I got £8000 gross for a 27.75 hours a week job a few years ago. That was almost 8.45 to 3.30 every day ( I was allowed to leave at 2pm on a Friday to fit in with childcare). I don't regret doing the job but I don't think it's done my career any favours although I did leave before Summer ( having served the shorter required notice). I think now equivalent might be nearer to £10,000 but as Theo says you would have to ask school for equivalent. Also, References as a TA don't really count for teaching jobs except as child protection ( or so I've been told). I could well be wrong. If the school like you though they might consider you for teaching vacancies if and when they arrive.

Good luck