1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma, advice needed

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Chris19842, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I qualified in June as a secondary teacher in ICT. Since then, I've had 15 interviews and cant get the job cus Im awful at interviews and always get told I'm too nervous.
    I've been applying for IT jobs instead. I have an interview in January with FDM Academy for an IT job in Java programming - they give you 16 weeks training, 9-5, monday to friday. Its unpaid and I'll have to support myself during this time but it is free too.
    They have partnerships with 200 blue chip companies and after training, theres a two year placement with one of them, getting paid 18k-20k a year.
    There is a catch: I'll be tied in for 2 years+16 weeks. The contract will say if I quit, I have to pay for the training they gave me - which is £20,000! This obviously isn't an option so if they accept me at interview, I'm stuck with it for 2 years. I have heard that some trainees end up with really bad jobs, unrelated to the training, and they are stuck there for 2 years. But some dont, so I'm considering it because Im fed up and have become really desperate for a job. (being unemployed is causing problems at home, with my girlfriend too).
    But I still want to teach! Thats the reason I did a PGCE rather than getting a job!
    My question is, would I have any chance of getting a teaching job after being out of education for 2 years? On the other hand, would schools prefer it if I've had industry experience?
    I'm not sure I'll ever get a teaching job anyway. I keep getting told Im too nervous and I cant help it.
    What would you do?

2. I qualified in June as a secondary teacher in ICT. Since then, I've had 15 interviews and cant get the job cus Im awful at interviews and always get told I'm too nervous.
    I've been applying for IT jobs instead. I have an interview in January with FDM Academy for an IT job in Java programming - they give you 16 weeks training, 9-5, monday to friday. Its unpaid and I'll have to support myself during this time but it is free too.
    They have partnerships with 200 blue chip companies and after training, theres a two year placement with one of them, getting paid 18k-20k a year.
    There is a catch: I'll be tied in for 2 years+16 weeks. The contract will say if I quit, I have to pay for the training they gave me - which is £20,000! This obviously isn't an option so if they accept me at interview, I'm stuck with it for 2 years. I have heard that some trainees end up with really bad jobs, unrelated to the training, and they are stuck there for 2 years. But some dont, so I'm considering it because Im fed up and have become really desperate for a job. (being unemployed is causing problems at home, with my girlfriend too).
    But I still want to teach! Thats the reason I did a PGCE rather than getting a job!
    My question is, would I have any chance of getting a teaching job after being out of education for 2 years? On the other hand, would schools prefer it if I've had industry experience?
    I'm not sure I'll ever get a teaching job anyway. I keep getting told Im too nervous and I cant help it.
    What would you do?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that you will find that this is an illegal contract. It is forbidden under the laws - you won't believe this - that outlaw slavery! They cannot force you to remain in their employment by threatening you with repayment of monies if you leave.
    Do a google on it - you're an IT bod!
    So you can just sign the contract, I reckon, knowing that you can get out of it. But check with google first!
    People do manage to get jobs despite this, you know.
    However, the teaching panorama is rather gloomy at present, so it is hard to be optimistic.
    We cannot give you any advice on what to do - you have to make this decision yourself, bearing in mind your financial situation and the not unreasonable requirement to actually eat.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars