1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dilemma.....A job in the hand is worth 2 in the bush?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Busstopjen, Mar 12, 2012.

  1. Busstopjen

    Busstopjen New commenter

    Good morning!

    I have a dilemma, and as some of you are recruiters etc, I would like your opinions.


    I've been offered a job at school A, and they want my answer by this afternoon.

    School B, my dream job, have said I'm their number one choice, and I've all but got the job (they have to check my refs but they'll be fine)....but they won't offer until at least tomorrow.

    Do I.... a) Accept job A, then potentially turn it down again in a week, if job B makes an offer? or b) accept A and forever regret not waiting for B, or c) Turn down job A and HOPE Job B does actually make that offer?

    I really don't like messing people around, so I feel uncomfortable accepting then changing my mind a day or two later.

    What would you do?

    Thanks in anticipation!
     
  2. Busstopjen

    Busstopjen New commenter

    Good morning!

    I have a dilemma, and as some of you are recruiters etc, I would like your opinions.


    I've been offered a job at school A, and they want my answer by this afternoon.

    School B, my dream job, have said I'm their number one choice, and I've all but got the job (they have to check my refs but they'll be fine)....but they won't offer until at least tomorrow.

    Do I.... a) Accept job A, then potentially turn it down again in a week, if job B makes an offer? or b) accept A and forever regret not waiting for B, or c) Turn down job A and HOPE Job B does actually make that offer?

    I really don't like messing people around, so I feel uncomfortable accepting then changing my mind a day or two later.

    What would you do?

    Thanks in anticipation!
     
  3. I've been burned by this before, but I'm an optimist...if School B has your dream job and have said that they only need to check references, I'd ask A if you can have just a LITTLE more time; if they say "no", then let them go and wait on School B.
    But again, I'm an optimist....
     
  4. Diddysan

    Diddysan New commenter

    I'm in a similar sticky situation.
     
  5. A job in the hand is only worth having if it's a job you want. I would ask A for another day and see what they say.
     
  6. Busstopjen

    Busstopjen New commenter

    Job A definitely need an answer by this afternoon. I'm gearing myself up for a leap of faith!
     
  7. who are these jobs with. I only ask cos I have not had responses and am just ticking them off my list. Are they in Dubai? I hope you get the number 1 job.
     
  8. Busstopjen

    Busstopjen New commenter

    Ha no, not Dubai! In an odd twist, Job C have shown strong interest! Good luck with your job hunt eviotti!
     

Share This Page