1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dilema...Can you start maternity leave earlier than you original date you informed HT of?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by cath1980, May 14, 2012.

1. Hi, was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. I am 34+1 and due to go on mat leave when we break up for half term in 3 weeks. I will be 37 weeks then which I thought I was ok with but consultant and midwives are concerned about size of baby and I was told today they would be sending me for growth scans on a weekly basis.My first baby was 5 weeks early (Hadn't started mat leave) and labour was less than 3 hours. I have been told that having an early baby is possible again (although obviously there is no way of knowing this for sure) and also a spontaneous fast labour again. All of this is making me very anxious and although I feel ok physically, I keep feeling on the verge of tears and am wondering if I was foolish to have given the HT a mat leave date that I may not make it to. (I teach reception and have been feeling like this at school as well) Having my first baby early and so suddenly with no mat leave and no loose ends tied up at work was a real shock and I really want to feel more prepared this time. Can anyone help?
    x

2. Hi, was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. I am 34+1 and due to go on mat leave when we break up for half term in 3 weeks. I will be 37 weeks then which I thought I was ok with but consultant and midwives are concerned about size of baby and I was told today they would be sending me for growth scans on a weekly basis.My first baby was 5 weeks early (Hadn't started mat leave) and labour was less than 3 hours. I have been told that having an early baby is possible again (although obviously there is no way of knowing this for sure) and also a spontaneous fast labour again. All of this is making me very anxious and although I feel ok physically, I keep feeling on the verge of tears and am wondering if I was foolish to have given the HT a mat leave date that I may not make it to. (I teach reception and have been feeling like this at school as well) Having my first baby early and so suddenly with no mat leave and no loose ends tied up at work was a real shock and I really want to feel more prepared this time. Can anyone help?
    x

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Yes, I changed my date both times! With my first i'd planned to work up to 38 weeks (which would've been May/June half term) but I was so shattered i changed it to leave at 36 weeks. I work in quite a 'challenging' secondary school.
    With my 2nd i'd planned to leave at 37 weeks, at Easter holidays, as I wanted the extra 2 weeks of pay, but I was pretty much told by the HT and my HoD that they didn't mind me leaving earlier. I was so exhausted as I wasn't sleeping well, and they were worried about me. So i left at 36 weeks then, the day after i spoke to my HT.
    If i were you i'd just have a word tomorrow and explain how you feel. I can't imagine them refusing you. If they do, you can get signed off and then your maternity leave will automatically trigger at 36 weeks.
    I would definitely make the most of any maternity leave you can, especially if your baby is expected to be early. Both of mine were late - 10 days and 12 days - but I was still glad i left work when I did.

4. Thanks for the reply. I have just been looking for info on the internet and it says you must give 28 days notice to change mat leave date unless signed off sick (which I don't think docs will do) I don't know if I could ask my HT, I feel physically ok and basically none of the children or parents know that I am pregnant as I am not showing that much so Its not as if I can complain about feeling huge etc- everyone thinks I am fine and probably forget I am 8 months pregnant!!

5. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

My friend went off a week earlier than she'd planned to. As far as I know there were no issues; who knows how a pg woman will feel towards the end of her pregnancy! If it is the case that you are supposed to give 28 days notice, I suspect most HTs would waive this: pregnant women are a bit of a potential legal nightmare, and of course, you'd hope they'd want to put your health first.

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I did give 28 days notice the first time i changed the datem, but like I said, the 2nd time I had a meeting with the head, and went off the next day. It was actually my HoD who initiated the meeting as she was so worried about me! I would've been ok, but I just couldn't sleep and I was so shattered, and of course had a toddler to look after too.
    I was also signed off with stress for a month when I was about 30 weeks as I had some awful classes and wasn't coping. Not like me at all! That's what lack of sleep and pregnancy hormones will do to you! The doctor was lovely though - as soon as I told him I was having a hard time at work he was like 'so, how long do you need off?'. His wife used to be a teacher and one of his daughters is, so he understands what it's like!

7. Hi there! Check the maternity policy of your school or LA. To be honest, for the health of your baby, any school or establishment should be understanding. It's not as if you are changing your date on a whim - you are worried about your baby! Speak to your head- if they have had kids themselves, they should be understanding.