1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Digital Voice Recorders

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Sevillana, Jan 26, 2011.

1. lasketchup

lasketchup New commenter

We invested in MP3 players with voice recording capability. They can be used for individual listening (good for AS and A2 where they need control of the recording) as well as recording on (last year's A level orals and current GCSE speaking controlled assessments). I asked a colleague who asked a friend who had done copious research on the same thing and she suggested Sony Walkman NWZ-B142. Can be plugged into USB port so really easy to transfer material from computer to device and vice versa. They record as MP3s so there's no bother trying to convert the Audacity files to MP3. We got them for around £30 each.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Joe Dale is really your man for this. Try starting a new thread entitled Dear Joe so he will definitely give an answer.
    In the meantime do a quick dearch back through previous posts as this is a commonly asked question & see what Joe says are the latest advances.

3. dalej

dalej New commenter

Here are some of the features you should look for in a digital voice recorder:
    • 1- 2GB storage
    • records directly as mp3
    • inbuilt speaker to play back recordings
    • inbuilt microphone and the possibility of connecting an external microphone if necessary
    • connects via USB and doesn't need any other software to work
    • drag and drop interface
    • is easy to use
    • runs on rechargeable batteries
    • Mp3 files can be burned on to CD
    Suggested DVRs - Phillips Voice Tracer, Easi-speak Pro, models by Olympus, Sanyo and Sony

Hope that helps
    Best wishes
    Joe

4. We recently purchased Olympus VN-8600PC. They are fantastic. Lightweight, small, excellent sound quality (without having to purchase a microphone) and most importantly VERY easy to use! :) They plug straight into USB on computer and it opens five folders. You can choose which folder to record in on the recorder, ie I have Spanish in one, German in another and French in another, that way on the computer I open up folder A and all recordings are there for Spanish in MP3 format. I sound like I work for them- I promise you I don't, it's just that I never thought there would be a product that was so easy to use!

5. I have just got a Phillips Voice Tracer 7675. How easy to use..... Plugs into a computer (obviously) to download the recordings. Unobtrusive for the dreaded speaking exams. Yum !

6. We have used Easi-Speak. Really straightforward and easy to download