1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Digital Photography Course Recommendation

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by apapa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. apapa

apapa New commenter

Colleagues,

I have Y7 girl with autism in my class. We would like to arrange a digital photography course for her. I will subscribe to the Adobe Creative cloud. I would also like to purchase a camera for around £200 and would be grateful for recommendations. I would also like her to follow an online course or MOOC and wondered of colleagues could recommend one for her.

Many thanks

2. BW12345

BW12345 Star commenter

I'd say pick a course before you pick a camera. I see "Alison" online does some basic courses - some at least are free and there's a choice. Then you'll see what you need.
    You won't get a new DSLR (reflex, removable lens) camera for £200. There are loads of used ones though, a a 4-5 year old model is still a very good camera. Look at MPB's stock https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/ . If you "need" a DSLR, let me know, cuz I'm familiar with the Nikons and Canons at least. Remember a lens will be extra.
    You'll have more choice with a "compact", especially if you go used. Later ones are good for video, too. There are dozens of models.
    I have a 5(?) year old Canon S100 which has all the controls you'll be likely to need - full manual controls of shutter, aperture and exposure (as well as full auto). Also "RAW" recording, video, and a 5:1 zoom lens, and it's fine for small hands (about an inch thick). They're about £120 used, now. The lens on something like that will be a lot better than a £100 new "Ixus" or similar (- I have one - very basic, no controls to speak of).

You lose a little with a Compact - such as the ability to stick a flash on a lead (no hotshoe) and you can't really use "depth of field" creatively, because their lenses tend to give you too much.
    Don't pay much attention to how many megapixels, or how amazing the zoom is, unless the pupil would want to find birds or similar.

Creative cloud is quite expensive. Purchasing Photoshop Elements may be a better option, though Lightroom is probably more user-friendly. GIMP is free.