1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Digital Creator to replace short course GCSE

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by apapa, May 8, 2012.

1. apapa

apapa New commenter

We used to run the Edexcel Short Course GCSE. It was good because we had a nice creative project using dreamweaver , flash, fireworks etc. We now teach the new AQA short course and all the creativity seems to have been sucked out of it.
    I am thinking of replacing it with the Digital Creator single unit. I have seen very few posts about this qalification in recent months / years.
    Are there people that are teaching digital creator and would you recommend it? . How many guided learning hours would we need (it says 110 on the website but I hope we can use far less than that.)
    Is there anybody teaching it who would let me come and talk to them (I am in Hammersmith and Fulham, west London).
    Thanks
    a

2. apapa

apapa New commenter

We used to run the Edexcel Short Course GCSE. It was good because we had a nice creative project using dreamweaver , flash, fireworks etc. We now teach the new AQA short course and all the creativity seems to have been sucked out of it.
    I am thinking of replacing it with the Digital Creator single unit. I have seen very few posts about this qalification in recent months / years.
    Are there people that are teaching digital creator and would you recommend it? . How many guided learning hours would we need (it says 110 on the website but I hope we can use far less than that.)
    Is there anybody teaching it who would let me come and talk to them (I am in Hammersmith and Fulham, west London).
    Thanks
    a

3. Beware - Digital Creator in its current form is only counting in League tables for the next two years. They are reviewing it, so hopefully its new version will count thereafter, but only if they put in an exam, as I understand it, which will change it.

It's a lot of fun to teach. We managed to get most of ours through the double award in two hours a week for two years, so it should be possible to do the single in about 50-60 hours.

The downside is the cost. To register as a centre you need to have two trained assessors. The training is time consuming and very expensive. Then you have to get approved as a centre. Last time I looked, it cost about £30 a student to register them. On the other hand, the learning materials on the website are excellent, so as long as you already have all the hardware, the ongoing cost is low (no text books, no paper, no printing - heaven!). It's so easy to manage the students' work as well as they upload it to the site, so it can't get lost!

4. apapa

apapa New commenter

Many thanks for your feedback.
    I spoke to BCS. They said the 8 unit double award will cease but the 4 unit 'flexi-qual' equiv to 1 grade B at GCSE will continue unchanged beyond 2014.
    Regards
    Apapa

5. Thank you for the info about this, I was starting to look into this myself as an alternative course to the short course GCSE too.

6. In that case, will it count in league tables as it doesn't seem to follow the rules?