1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by LoveIT, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I'm looking to buy a set (5-10) digital cameras that can be used in lessons with students in groups of 2-3. However, I want cameras that run on AA (or AAA) batteries as opposed to those that can be recharged.
    In my experience, you go to use a set of cameras and there's always issues with cameras not being charged and this is inevitable because who's going to take responsibility for regularly making sure all cameras are charged up and so on...
    I find that it's much easier to have a stash of batteries and then just whack a couple of new ones in when needed.
    I bought a Flip Ultra HD camcorder and this is ideal for movies - and it runs on AA batteries - but it doesn't take stills (annoyingly - because these would be perfect).
    Does anyone have any recommendations that fit the criteria? Been looking but it's hard find them without built-in rechargeable batteries!
    Thanks
    LoveIT

2. Hi all
    I'm looking to buy a set (5-10) digital cameras that can be used in lessons with students in groups of 2-3. However, I want cameras that run on AA (or AAA) batteries as opposed to those that can be recharged.
    In my experience, you go to use a set of cameras and there's always issues with cameras not being charged and this is inevitable because who's going to take responsibility for regularly making sure all cameras are charged up and so on...
    I find that it's much easier to have a stash of batteries and then just whack a couple of new ones in when needed.
    I bought a Flip Ultra HD camcorder and this is ideal for movies - and it runs on AA batteries - but it doesn't take stills (annoyingly - because these would be perfect).
    Does anyone have any recommendations that fit the criteria? Been looking but it's hard find them without built-in rechargeable batteries!
    Thanks
    LoveIT

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I went for low cost Fuji FinePix compacts when I had to stock up. There was the added bonus of them taking 640 x 480 video and they still make them with AA batteries. A relative who works in a camera shop tells me that manufacturers are moving away from the use of AAs and AAAs in cameras these days, which I think is a retrograde step.

You don't need to pay a fortune for huge Megapixel resolution either - 7-9 Mpixels will more than meet most peoples' needs in school.

If you want low cost eye-level tripods, keep an eye out for when Aldi next sell them, usually about £12 each.

4. Canon Powershot A800 will do pretty much all you need - about £80 eac.Details here.

5. Good shout - Thanks for the tips people!

6. We've got some decent but budget Fuji bridge cameras. The latest batch have started to limit some of the options but they can be used in point and shoot mode or you can adjust the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc. which is ideal for iMedia and/or proper photography. They're a little over £100 and use 4x AAs (which means twice as much life as those that run on 2x AAs - obvious when you say it but it's a heck of a bonus).

7. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Can I recommend the things they carry round with them in the form of a mobile phone. You then need a bluetooth dongle in the back of your laptop/PC the kids bluetooth it to you you put it in a shared area they can access job done for very little expense or hastle on your behalf.

8. I may be wrong and that may be a very viable and forward-thinking solution. Here are my immediate concerns:
    • The need to buy a bluetooth adapter
    • The need to setup the bluetooth correctly
    • The risk that they will nick each other's photos form the shared area for various nefarious reasons
    • The necessity for a whole school policy that supports the use of mobile phones
    • The quality of the photos
    • The lack of advanced features such as aperture, white balance, etc. (although this may not be relevant depending on the context
    • The factor of who has the best / newest / poshest phone
    • The kid who doesn't have a phone / doesn't have a phone with a camera / doesn't bring their phone to school
    • The letter from parents when a phone gets damaged whilst being used for a school activity
    I don't want to be a nay sayer, and a whole host of issues are also brought up when using school bought cameras (cables, uploading, lost batteries, flat batteries, etc.), but on balance I'm still in favour of school cameras. At least for the next few years.

9. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

• £4.99
    • Usually straight forward - LA Support?
    • Let each one download their own as a learning experience
    • Can't argue with this one
    • My phone is better than my last small camera and far superior to the school cameras
    • OP is primary I don't think aperture and white balance are really major issues
    • Last three are good points.
    @OP - So if you can address the last three, and the school policy, I think you might consider kids using their own mobiles?

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

...or maybe not I misread OP. I read it as YEARS 2-3 not "Groups of 2-3" as was written.

11. In our school mobile phones and all electrical equipment is banned. Similarly, Facebook and other social networking sites are blocked.
    I'm currently championing the need for change - but it's a long way off yet!

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

It is the end of catalogue time for Argos, so you can usually get a good deal on what is left as end of line (a good number of camera lines are replaced by Argos every catalogue)

13. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

We used our allocation of Tesco Schools Vouchers to buy 5 Canon A495s. Annoyingly they came wihout memory cards so wehad to source some cheap ones.
    As far as Bluetooth and mobiles go, as you say there are always going to be risks using any equipment that isn't nailed down in your room so the little darlings won't get up to mischeif. Kids will always use collected photos in the shared area to photoshop their mates / enemies so we just keep an eye on them (and if a kid shows a bit of nouse whilst doing something they should you can always say "Hey, that's really cool, I want you to come back at break / lunch / end of the day and show me how you did it" - then drop the bomb).
    As for phone snobbery - as long as you recognise that not everyone will have a phone and match people together who realise they need to work together to find suitable pictures, I won't worry too much.
    And if the little darling breaks their phone - then they were obviously doing something they shouldn't have been doing and the parent can be glad it was their own property rather than the school's for which they would now be getting an invoice for!
    But I feel we should be showing how we can use the technology, when you get 6 formers going loopy over the fact they can bluetooth their work over to us and I can pass it over to them it does put a silly smile on your face.