1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Digestive Problems in 4 month old

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by lilypot, May 5, 2011.

1. Hi I'm just after some advice really.
    Some of you may know I've already had lots of problems feeding my LO - from hands, to possible silent reflux, possible teething etc - basically it is a real battle feeding her (takes 2.5oz fine, then a struggle to get anymore in her).
    Anyway, started her on baby rice a couple of days ago and before as she only had one night feed, she has suddenly started waking at about 10pm too. Not only that, but she is now struggling to nap during the day and despite looking constantly shattered, she whinges and writhes about as though in great pain. Sometimes I can see her contort her body as things move through her so to speak!
    The doctor gave her gaviscon to sort possible reflux and I know this can make some babies constipated - however, she is pooing fine.
    This morning she whinged in her sleep from about 5am before finally waking herself at 6am - so I fed her - and then even when back to sleep, she still whinged.
    It could be coincidental that these more frequent night wakenings / bad napping started at the same time as we started her on solids but also I wonder if she's either a) allergic to baby rice and her body is struggling to process it b) just getting used to baby rice and this is just a phase that will calm down when she's had it regularly for a few days.
    What do you think? It's got to the point where I am at my wits end, trying to calm a fraught baby who's desperate to sleep but can't and desperate to eat but can't.

2. Hi I'm just after some advice really.
    Some of you may know I've already had lots of problems feeding my LO - from hands, to possible silent reflux, possible teething etc - basically it is a real battle feeding her (takes 2.5oz fine, then a struggle to get anymore in her).
    Anyway, started her on baby rice a couple of days ago and before as she only had one night feed, she has suddenly started waking at about 10pm too. Not only that, but she is now struggling to nap during the day and despite looking constantly shattered, she whinges and writhes about as though in great pain. Sometimes I can see her contort her body as things move through her so to speak!
    The doctor gave her gaviscon to sort possible reflux and I know this can make some babies constipated - however, she is pooing fine.
    This morning she whinged in her sleep from about 5am before finally waking herself at 6am - so I fed her - and then even when back to sleep, she still whinged.
    It could be coincidental that these more frequent night wakenings / bad napping started at the same time as we started her on solids but also I wonder if she's either a) allergic to baby rice and her body is struggling to process it b) just getting used to baby rice and this is just a phase that will calm down when she's had it regularly for a few days.
    What do you think? It's got to the point where I am at my wits end, trying to calm a fraught baby who's desperate to sleep but can't and desperate to eat but can't.

3. It could be any number of things.
    First thing it could be is her teeth. Go and get some Anbesol Liquid, works 100 times better than bonjela or detinox and lasts longer and doesnt rub off. Give this 10mins before a feed. That should numb it before a feed for her to take it.

Second thing, when did you last change her teats and what number is she on? If you haven't changed teats in last 3 months, you need to, they don't last longer than that.
    Thirdly, I would stay away from baby rice, it tastes awful and not worth it. I would go to baby porridge instead

4. Hello lilypot, I can't diagnose the exact problem but I can give you some advice which will not cost you anything. First of all keep her feet/legs warm (definitely socks and possible a light cover day and night as much as you can). Secondly go back to just baby milk for a while, feed her small amounts but often.(If you are breast feeding at the same time watch out what you eat, avoid "gassy" food). Have you tried to make her sleep in the bed next to you or on your shoulder? I know it is not very practical but sometimes it helps to have mummy's "smell" and warmth. The same thing goes for the room temperature. The adviced 18-19 C might be too cold for her. try to keep the temperature around 21-22C; do not forget she is only a baby and her body systems are not mature yet. Massage her tummy and feet gently in a warm room, with warm hands. Last of all try to stay calm (although I know how hard it is sometimes!). Babies pick up on mummy's mood.
    I hope these will help you. Good luck
    Welshqueen

5. Glad you started this, Lily, it seems there are wiser mums than us out there! I think I'd stop the baby rice if I were you. Can't remember if you said how often your LO feeds? Zoe has always been a little and often feeder and she was a good 17 weeks before she stopped feeding every two hours all day, so I would try the little and often thing as well. I agree with keeping her warm- put tights under her trousers! If you think she has a tummy ache, gently push her legs up to her tummy or massage her tummy clockwise with some baby oil. Have you done any baby yoga or massage classes? My LO loved both and it had the added benefit of tiring her out for three hours afterwards!
    Hang on in there, it will get better! x

6. Cheers guys.
    I've started LO back on the infacol to see if that helps - although I'm wondering if it will just counteract the gaviscon - one thing is meant to keep things down, the other to bring wind up! She has napped better today. Our house is very warm but will certainly try the warming her up thing.
    ladybug - LO used to feed every 3 hours but then started to get hungry before the 3 hours - hence the start on solids (plus looking at food etc).
    I often massage LO's tummy - well go round clockwise but without the baby oil. I could try baby oil next time.
    As for baby rice - I might give it a few more days but not overdo it. If the problems persist, I'll stop for a bit and see if it calms down.

7. 4 months is a classic growth spurt time and often parents mistake the hunger for more milk/waking in the night etc around then for hunger for solid food. Some of the other signs that people talk about (looking at your food, sitting up etc) are developmental rather than a need for solids - of course the food you're putting in your mouth is interesting to your baby. It's actually quite rare for a baby to be needing solids at 4 months. I'd say ride it out with just milk and you may find that in a week or so, she'll be satisfied with this again.
    Obviously though, I don't know your baby and please don't think I'm telling you you're doing something wrong - I'm just offering an alternative view x

8. Thanks mossop - I'm always open to new ideas. She's been better today but am still going to play it by ear.....