1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

diffraction grating

Discussion in 'Science' started by Ms Chipping, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Ms Chipping

Ms Chipping New commenter

We have a diffraction grating at school which produces an offset diffraction pattern with the central fringe off to one side. I wondered if the grating surface undulated regularly as a result of the manufacturing process producing refraction. Has anyone else observed this in a grating and can you suggest why its happening? Thanks for any help.

2. Ms Chipping

Ms Chipping New commenter

We have a diffraction grating at school which produces an offset diffraction pattern with the central fringe off to one side. I wondered if the grating surface undulated regularly as a result of the manufacturing process producing refraction. Has anyone else observed this in a grating and can you suggest why its happening? Thanks for any help.

3. I have encountered asymetery but not an off-set central maxima.
    If this were the case, I would suspect a bulk issue rather than surface. For example a wedge shaped glass substrate. For this a measurable thickness change should be present.