1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difficulty with neighbours...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by steffiw, Aug 23, 2011.

1. We live in a Grade II listed building barn conversion attached on two sides around a quadrangle courtyard. Next door's wooden guttering is leaking and the want to replace it with aluminium guttering. Several problems with this 1) aluminium goes against the listed building status, 2) aluminium guttering cannot be joined to wooden guttering and so would cause further leaks where joined with our guttering and their neighbours the other side 3) the other neighbours are 'renters' as the owner lives and works in Switzerland, 4) the neighbours the other side of us just want the guttering fixed not replaced - especially as they have doves nesting in the end of their guttering and finally 5) the main join would have to be above the downpipe on our property.

I don't want to fall out over guttering but they really won't listen to the inevitable problems and have said "I'm not bothered about the listings people."

I'm tempted to ring the listed buildings people for advice but have been advised that they will come round and check everything, not just the guttering, which could mean problems for another neighbour who has an 'illegal' chimney.

It's a bit stressful... Any suggestions how to tackle this?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Who says?

3. My OH and our other neighbour - not without it leaking anyway.

4. OH says you can but it's fidly and you have to shape it, use mastic and bolt and screw it in the middle...

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Quite so, but it can be done.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Isn't the penalty for (unauthorised) mucking about with a listed building an unlimited fine and the possibility of imprisonment?

7. Don't know what the penalty is, but I don't think the listed status should be contravened, whatever the severity of the punishment. If you're going to live in a listed building, I think you have to conform, otherwise live elsewhere...

It's seriously stressing me out as said neighbours won't listen to any reasonable suggestion.

8. I would report them. Listing is there for a reason and they shouldn't think they can do what they want - clearly they knew there'd be prohibitions before they moved in. I can't imagine what they're suggesting is going to look very nice - not something you want to be seeing all the time.

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You have no choice but to contact the authorities about it.
    If they won't budge and won't be reasonable there really is no option. You are compromising your own property if you go along with them on this. That sets it apart from the chimney issue, which is actually nothing to do with you.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why not get UPVC? better than aluminium any day and you can get it in wood effect, job done![​IMG]

11. Because it would still contravene the listed building status!

12. Thank you Dylan and Lilachardy - you're thinking what I'm thinking, I just don't want to upset anyone. It would be so much easier if they'd listen to reasonable suggestions. Other neighbour has suggested getting a listed building builder to advise and hopefully fix rather than replace, but even that wasn't deemed acceptable.

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What they do to their property is their business - but when it affects your property, you have a right to intervene.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Missed the [​IMG] then?

15. Sorry was using phone, it should have had [​IMG]

16. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

When it's a listed building, it's the business of everbody.

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I used to live in a simlar listed building on a 'development' of converted manor house/barns/granary and dairy.
    They cannot go against regulations. We called the 'listed buildings peeps' the 'hysterical society (they were actually the historical society) and you must let them know. Agreed, they may well take a snoop around but that is their job.
    I'd report if I were you.

18. Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions.

For anyone reading this, who is not a poster on these fora, may I take this opportunity to point out that the 'inverted commas' on the OP are there for a reason...

19. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

They are obviously idiots, let them do it and then report it.
    [​IMG]

20. Will aluminium actually breach the listed building regs.?