1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difficulty of even getting an interview (Scotland)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Pcarthy, Jul 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Pcarthy

Pcarthy New commenter

Hi, has anyone else found it almost impossible to even get selected for an interview. I’ve never been in the situation where I don’t have a job to go to after the summer. I’m becoming very stressed and down about it.
    I have applied for 21 jobs in a local education authority south of Edinburgh (Scotland) I’ve been rejected without interview from 18, interviewed for the other three and wasn’t successful. I’ve been teaching 19yrs. I’ve been told by three different head teachers that there is nothing wrong with my application. I’m looking at being unemployed after the summer, I’m getting v v down by it all.

2. 1cherries

1cherries New commenter

tempus fugit - im afraid.... old and expensive... comes to us all... especially in these times where cheap trumps all and experience aint valued... just take it on the chin, roll with it and keep right on till the end of the road...tra la la la

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Devon Dumpling

Devon Dumpling New commenter

Have you thought about supply? In Scotland it's a great system - so much so that I know many teachers who have left 'proper' teaching to do supply. Plus it's a great way to check out all the local schools and get a foot in the door.

4. Pcarthy

Pcarthy New commenter

I’m on supply, but there is a rule that schools have to cover the first 15 days of an absence. I was Peripatetic Supply Teacher for a year, It’s not a great career path, as you don’t have the continuity of your own class etc.

5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Can you consider getting out of the central belt? It's always going to be competitive down there and there are lovely schools in need of experienced staff further afield.

6. Pcarthy

Pcarthy New commenter

I’m in the Scottish Borders.

7. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Sorry, bad habit of mine of thinking of everything south of Stirling and east of Helensburgh as central belt.

8. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

I had this and it's a perennial problem for teachers from England. It seems to be a completely closed shop in Scotland and they're not especially interested in recruiting from down south, especially when so many vacancies could easily be filled as it's a very attractive package here in comparison. I just don't get it.

9. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Try not to get too downhearted. You will get plenty of supply and that will give you an opportunity to try out a variety of schools. I am sure with your experience you will be snapped up once they see what you can offer.

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Don’t assume that the Summer holidays (already started in Scotland?) is a dead zone for interviews, vacancies can and do get advertised and even interviewed for in holiday periods, in fact you might have more chance then as not everyone assumes any vacancies exist then. Or there may be jobs through recruitment agencies and job sites, don’t assume everything is advertised on the TES.

11. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Remember that in Scotland you only need to give a much shorter notice period than in England. It's not half termly. Most people leave within a couple of weeks and the timetable alters accordingly.

12. WitchFingers

WitchFingers New commenter

Hop over the border into D&G where things should be less competitive. The further west you go, the more likely you are to be the only applicant. Suspect many schools in the west would bite your hand off.

oHelzo and alendra like this.