1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difficult year 12 class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by jenjen1985, May 15, 2012.

1. jenjen1985

jenjen1985 New commenter

Dear Tom,
    My colleague and I share a year 12 class, in which there are several difficult individuals. Examples of behaviour include refusing to do the task set (either by saying they're not going to do it, or being more subtle and just copying notes from the book instead of whats set), general sneering, and disrespectful attitude towards us. The main reason being used is "I don't learn this way". I've tried to get across that copying from the book both to learn and to revise is, while useful initially, limiting their understanding (data from tests backs this up). I've tried to be encouraging, and this is usually thrown back in my face. I have quite a hard shell but this class are really getting to me! Any effort I make feels like it's being wasted, and the students that would get on well are being negatively influenced. Other comments are along the lines of 'you haven't taught this', and 'you didn't explain it well enough'. If this is the case then I'm always happy to sort it out, but it seems we can't please them!
    I have a feeling that I just need to toughen up, ask them to leave when they're not doing the activities etc.. Parents have rung in complaining that we're not putting on extra revision sessions after school! (My colleague did; they were poorly attended so we stopped), and two have said they think we don't care enough. In both cases, these are parents of students that will not take responsibility for their own learning, will not ask for help in class, nor arrange appointments (as offered) for individual help. It's got to the point where several students refused to take additional coursework opportunities offered in class time, despite being told they needed the extra marks - a general can't be bothered attitude. It was all set up ready to go, and they would've only missed part of a revision session.
    We've still got the rest of the summer term with this class teaching them A2 material, so I'd really like some advice (or a kick up the bum!) on how to deal with them.
    Ultimately, I/we do care, and we want to do the best we can by them, but the feeling is very negative at the moment and I'd like that to change.
    Many thanks.

2. jenjen1985

jenjen1985 New commenter

Dear Tom,
    My colleague and I share a year 12 class, in which there are several difficult individuals. Examples of behaviour include refusing to do the task set (either by saying they're not going to do it, or being more subtle and just copying notes from the book instead of whats set), general sneering, and disrespectful attitude towards us. The main reason being used is "I don't learn this way". I've tried to get across that copying from the book both to learn and to revise is, while useful initially, limiting their understanding (data from tests backs this up). I've tried to be encouraging, and this is usually thrown back in my face. I have quite a hard shell but this class are really getting to me! Any effort I make feels like it's being wasted, and the students that would get on well are being negatively influenced. Other comments are along the lines of 'you haven't taught this', and 'you didn't explain it well enough'. If this is the case then I'm always happy to sort it out, but it seems we can't please them!
    I have a feeling that I just need to toughen up, ask them to leave when they're not doing the activities etc.. Parents have rung in complaining that we're not putting on extra revision sessions after school! (My colleague did; they were poorly attended so we stopped), and two have said they think we don't care enough. In both cases, these are parents of students that will not take responsibility for their own learning, will not ask for help in class, nor arrange appointments (as offered) for individual help. It's got to the point where several students refused to take additional coursework opportunities offered in class time, despite being told they needed the extra marks - a general can't be bothered attitude. It was all set up ready to go, and they would've only missed part of a revision session.
    We've still got the rest of the summer term with this class teaching them A2 material, so I'd really like some advice (or a kick up the bum!) on how to deal with them.
    Ultimately, I/we do care, and we want to do the best we can by them, but the feeling is very negative at the moment and I'd like that to change.
    Many thanks.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Year 12 students who behave as you describe are not worthy of the name and therefore should not be considered as students. They are there voluntarily and the fact that they need extra revision sessions instead of doing the work themselves proves my first point. I suggest you log it all, and where necessary contact parents spelling out what you've offered and what the ungrateful brats have turned down.

4. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

It's not the way year 12 teaching is meant to be, is it? It's such a shame when the atmosphere is like that. My year 12 aren't as bad as yours, but I've also been disappointed by the fact that they haven't chosen my subject out of any sense of enthusiasm. I think you can't change them, but you have to treat them according to their behaviour - i.e. like younger children. It's not your fault, and hopefully it'll be better next year when the ones that don't want to do it might not carry on to A2.