1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difficult Year 10 class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Georgia99, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I teach a large all girls Year 10 class. Most are low ability and several have emotional or home difficulties and a few have sen.
    They spend lessons with their phone out. School policy is to confiscate them if seen in lessons but it has now got to the point where they are refusing to give me their phone. Any task on the computer and they are constantly on the internet or watching music videos.
    If they are sat at their desks I am constantly battling with them to put away makeup, hairbrushes and food.
    When I demand their attention I spend every few minutes waiting for silence as the don't stop chatting amongst themselves. They are constantly swearing and they try and argue with everything I say. They are equally rude to the TA who tries his best too.
    I have kept kids behind, parked the worse offenders with the hod and where I have managed to-confiscated mobile phones. I praise them when they are doing well or participating too. I have phoned parents but to be honest the majority are really not interested and don't seem to want to even speak to their children.
    I don't know what else I can do? I teach this class 6 hours a week and it is a great source of stress for me, I am at the point where I am doubting my ability as a teacher (I am a NQT) and am wondering if I am right for the job.

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I teach a large all girls Year 10 class. Most are low ability and several have emotional or home difficulties and a few have sen.
    They spend lessons with their phone out. School policy is to confiscate them if seen in lessons but it has now got to the point where they are refusing to give me their phone. Any task on the computer and they are constantly on the internet or watching music videos.
    If they are sat at their desks I am constantly battling with them to put away makeup, hairbrushes and food.
    When I demand their attention I spend every few minutes waiting for silence as the don't stop chatting amongst themselves. They are constantly swearing and they try and argue with everything I say. They are equally rude to the TA who tries his best too.
    I have kept kids behind, parked the worse offenders with the hod and where I have managed to-confiscated mobile phones. I praise them when they are doing well or participating too. I have phoned parents but to be honest the majority are really not interested and don't seem to want to even speak to their children.
    I don't know what else I can do? I teach this class 6 hours a week and it is a great source of stress for me, I am at the point where I am doubting my ability as a teacher (I am a NQT) and am wondering if I am right for the job.

3. They sound EXACTLY like my Y10 class, Georgia! So I will also be interested to hear any advice...

I teach MFL so they have opted to do French for GCSE, but yet they still don't take it seriously and spend the majority of the lesson p*ssing about chatting/complaining they hate French (so why choose it?!)/putting on make-up/on youtube if working on computers etc etc. We did a controlled assessment before Xmas and half of them didn't even bother trying to learn it, yet had the audacity to complain when I gave them D grades!!!

There are only 14 of them fortunately, 11 girls & 3 boys (who are surprisingly much more mature and do actually try with the work). I'm going to put them on class report next lesson as I have done with the majority of my KS3 classes this term, so we'll see how that goes...