1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difficult situation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by shaun07, Mar 24, 2012.

1. As I said earlier - make sure everything is logged and copies given to the Head / Senco regularly. As for sending him home without an exclusion, this is actually illegal, and the parent is totally within thier rightes to refust to come and collect him.

2. It is very interesting that you say it is illegal to send homw without exclusion - can you direct me as to where this information would be available for me to locate to show to the Head please?
    The child was causing significant problems at the previous school - although they did not choose to make this known to me until I pressed following his rapidly deteriorating behaviour in my class.
    I have huge concerns re the child's safety - via the self harming, both the threats and the punching himself around the head/face that has been witnessed in class. I have concerns re home as I believe - though I may well be wrong ( but my nose does not usually let me down!) that there may be an alcohol problem and judging by the "father's" demeanour/ behaviour on one occasion when he was met at the end of the day , I suspect there may be drug abuse. I am raising this as a CP issue with our CP officer at the earliest opportunity.

3. loopyfrog

loopyfrog New commenter

Have the school / parents thought about a CAMHS referral?

4. I have found in the past that the most powerful tool is the risk assessment. Get hold of the paperwork and then start listing the risks of his behaviour and give copy to the head.
    To have in writing, on an official document that he presents physical risks of injury to himself, the staff and the other children, risk of suicide, risk of running off, risk of damage to equipment and all are at the highest 'frequently demonstrates the behaviour' etc. can be a very sobering thing to read.
    Your 'actions to be taken' could include - having a first aid kit in the classroom, checking that your TA and yourself are qualified firstaiders- warning other parents of the risk to their childrens safety, training the other children in what to do if....,attending a course on restraint to prevent absconding or suicide. ...... It all begins to sound like special school.....
    If the HT wants you to deal with it. Phone the parents and tell them that if they want him to stay in mainstream - they will need to cooperate with collecting him when his behaviour is unmanageable and dangerous. The other option will be to exclude him - As you are 'UPS3' presumably your HT will allow you to make that decision! ..then he will end up elsewhere.
    Mostly - I would say - cover your **** - because when a chair flies at the sweetest little defenceless girl and she has a nasty permanent scar on her face - you do not want to be in the position of having no paperwork showing you have exhausted every avenue.

5. I have suggested to the parents they refer to CAMHs - they do not feel it is necessary. The claim they want help but do not attend meetings I arrange . They have told the child they will not collect him from school if he "kicks off". They say they are imposing boundaries at home and are enforcing boundaries - one of TAs ( a trained counsellor) has discovered that this means he is sent to his room and not allowed out , his meals are taken in his room , he has no tv etc in his room. When asked what he does - he punches himself in the head over and over again! This info was gained when he was secreted under the coats in the cloakroom refsuing to come back in to the classroom.We are sorting out a tent/ quiet place for him and haveoffered ear defender , but this was refused as he does not want anyone lookking at him , he says he will look stupid, etc. He repeatedly takes his shoes off and stomps about in the manner of a toddler tantrum ( but this has never been said to him)
    I suugested to the Ed Psych there was some evidence of a Mental Health difficulty therefore the need for CAMHc support, but based on the EP's 15 min obs in class - .where the child sat quietly but refused to engage , join the class on the carpet, make eye contact etc- and his 30 min 1-1 with the child , he felt that not to be the case!
    My TA and I are logging everything , we are in constant contact with the SENCO - I copy all my write ups to the Head ( he has tod me to deal with it!), the DH is the one who has snet him home ( apart from on Friday when the Head observed the behavious for himself!) An afternoon or part day 's being sent home , usually results in a further day or 2;s absence with tummy ache and then he bouunces back as though nothing has happeneed ( until asked to do something!)
    Within my class I have at least 2 children (on his table ) who are now afraid of him and need to be moved , and constantly reassured that they are safe. I held an extended Circle Time on Friday which meant my timetablle was skewed - for which no doubt I will be disciplned when this is discovered.
    I feel now that my staff and I are merely tip toeing around him on egg shells and baby sitting him - he is not learning anything , merely being contained , and this is to the detriment of the rest of the class and to the adults with in the class' sanity!

6. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I once had a class with a child like this (year 2) and his favourite act of aggression was to start throwing the chairs. The rest of the class had to run for cover, shielded by myself and the TA. There were a number of other children with quite severe behaviour problems. (around 7 children out of 25) eventually I went to the head and simply said 'I can EITHER manage the behaviour OR try and teach the class with it going on - I cannot do both.' I felt like I was giving up but I couldn't see any other way. Would your head be open to this kind of statement? (based on some of your comments, probably not) I also encouraged other parents (some of whom were school governors, luckily!) who were worried about their child's safety to complain directly to the head. This had more impact than it coming from me.

Also I am APPALLED at your statement about being disciplined for extending circle time. You have been told to 'deal with it' yet may be punished for doing so???!!!!!! What planet is your head on?!!!

7. In fairness. I have not been discplined yet re extending my circle time but anticipate this happening as it impacted on what I should have been teaching - time will tell!

8. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

The ed psych shouldn't have based their judgement on a 15 min observation. Have you checked to see if any agencies have tried to initiate a CAF? Yours may be the final enquiry that triggers it. If you can get in trouble over an extended circle time I'd start looking for another job.

9. I am not sure what a CAF is - can you explain please? I doubt I would get another job as at UPS 3 this is nigh impossible!

10. I definitely think a CAMHS referral is in order, and one to SS. I think you should be doing a CAF if no-one else has. It sounds like the parents either don't have an understanding of his needs or their own needs are so great that they can't manage.
    Some one has suggested undiagnosed Aspergers, I would look at attachment difficulties (Heather Geddes has a really good book called Attachement in the classroom) and there is some information here http://www.teachingexpertise.com/topic/attachment-theory
    I would suggest that this boy fits the profile of a child with attachment problems.

11. apologies for lack of paras - I'm using Chrome and you can't edit in this forum.

12. Just checked and do understand what a CAF means - thank you! Will speak to the SENCO tomorrow am to start the ball rolling for this. My notes are all stored safely and my concerns re CP have also been logged now.

13. We have a child in school who has been diagnosed with attachment difficulties and is now being supported on a 1-1 with a shortened timetable etc to aid re-integration to class. This process however took over a year as the fear would seem to be in labelling a child ,rather than identifying their needs and initiating strategies to best support them!

14. sally90

sally90 Occasional commenter

We had a similar situation in our school a few years ago, and we were actually losing pupils as a result of one child's behaviour.
    The Class Teacher forced the Head's hand in the end by signing off sick-she'd had enough. The minute she submitted a Doctor's note with 'Workplace Stress' down as the cause of absence, HR were in like a shot and said child departed quite soon afterwards to a Resourced school. It's drastic, I know, but you have to look after yourself; as has already been stated earlier on in this thread, The Powers That Be in your school have a duty of care towards you, and they are seriously failing in that at the moment.

15. I don't think you need a formal diagnosis - you could start implementing strategies to support a child with attachment problems (and that Heather Geddes book has some good suggestions) whether the child has a formal "label" or not.

16. Here's one link about sending children home without formal exclusion taking place.
    I am flabbergasted that the Senco in your school has not already been heavily involved with this child - especially as he has been sent home several times!
    The next steps for this child are not down to you - the Senco should start a CAF, which they should complete with the parent present, in order to get any support or assessments rolling. If this were a child who had just started who had a physical disability, would you think it was all up to you to manage? He clearly has a very specific special need and you should have been informed of this before he started - I would go so far to say that he should have been integrated very slowly and with support.
    I am alaso worried that one person has adviced you to inform parents of other children in the class - yes if you want to be hauled over the coals by the head!
    Hope tomorrow goes well - let your Heaad read the info on exclusions. Keep us posted.

17. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Haven't read all the replies- has anyone mentioned oppositional defiant disorder? Seems to fit the child's profile.

18. oops- the missing link please?!

19. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

What, to google? I'm secondary SEN; your child sounds familiar. Do some research and see what you think.