1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difficult question asked

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by dkarana, Feb 11, 2011.

1. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

I had my interview and was asked 'How will you use data to enhancestudents' progress?'
    I could not answer.I had never thought about it I am trying to find the answer and can notCan any one help please!

2. Are they talking about monitoring here?

I can tell you how I use data.

Every month we give the students (from year 7 upwards) a GCSE grade, and targets to reach the next grade. Every student has recorded literacy and numeracy levels and knowledge of this can help us to target particular students during lessons - ideally! This could be more attention, pairing with a more able student, extra worksheets or computer based resources.

I have my own spreadsheet where I record students progress towards their target grade. If the spreadsheet shows them as slowing down, I give them extra homework or extra attention in class to try to enhance their skills.

You may be expected to use FFT data in your school, which uses a whole useless mess of meaningless criteria, grossly generalised to give you a completely incorrect prediction of where the students will excel.

I guess it depends what they are referring to as data.

3. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks Newstring,
    This information is really useful.They simply mentioned dataWhen I asked which data they said any.
    What is FFT?

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Fischer Family Trust x

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrr I'm a bit surprised that you didn't know any answer to give here. However well done for asking here to find out ready for another interview either for a course or a post later.

No idea if you are primary or secondary. But in primary we use data every half term to level children and ensure they are progressing. If they aren't we have to say what we are doing for the children to ensure they make progress next time, hence raising standards in the class/school.
    FFT for us means looking at the level the arrived as, KS1 scores and potential KS2 scores. It is the bane of my life as makes no allowance for the fact children might not make linear progress.

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Perhaps a trainee at this stage in their trainee might not be familiar with using data in this way yet? Depending on their placement school of course; some schools use data more effectively/frequently than others.

7. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks Eva for understanding the problem,Minnie,I am secondary PGCE.
    I need to know how do you ensure the progress after having analysed that data<u> every half term</u>. .You can have 5 students at L3 and 5 at L6.How do you bridge the gap?.Can you give an example of one lesson where you did it?
    Thanks

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I must admit that, even with 8 years teaching experience, I do not look closely at data and use it to inform my planning. The only thing I do is mark books regularly and keep notes on what seemed to be understood/not understoor, secure/insecure and then plan to rectify the situation if needed.
    In terms of dealing with such a wide ability range in one class, I turn to the APP grid which our pupils all have glued into their exercise books. I do spend a lot of time familiarising pupils with the terminology for whatever it is when are covering during a week's/fortnight's cycle of lessons. For instance, if I'm aiming to asses the pupils for AF2, 3 and 5 for writing, then I ensure that pupils have looked at the grids, looked at their target levels and have written themselves a personalised objective based on what they'll need to do to achieve their target level. If they've achieved that level before (which will be indicated by the higlighting on their grid after each piece of work) then they will be able to set an obvjective to beat their target. I use 'all most some' lesson outcomes to differentiate the level of attainment expected and also indicate which levels will be achieved by the 'all most some' outcomes.
    E.g
    All: Those working at least at level 3 for AF2 must .....
    Most: Those working at least at level 4 for AF2 should ....
    Some: Those aiming for level 5 could ...
    I'll admit that this doesn't happen EVERY lesson (I'd be dead) but is certainly deemed successful during observed lessons and is considered good practice in my school.
    Also consider SEN data and how this informs your planning: will some children need particular support, for example, in order to access the work you want them to do? For instance, a dyspraxic child in my class would have perfect understanding of a poem, but would struggling to draw a sensible looking table/diagram to represent his understanding - how do I get around this? Do I provide a resource, TA support, paired work where another child can do the diagram bit?
    The big buzzword is AsL (Assessment to Support Learning). In other words, how are you ensuring that you are assessing the children, and using this assessment to support their learning and progress? How are the children using assessment? Can they articulate HOW they will make progress?

9. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

WOW!!
    Thanks Eva, For taking time to give such detailed guidance.It is 90 percent clear to me now.Is the APP grid available for every concept or you have to simplify one for pupils?sorry for another one!