1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difficult child

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 16, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The first time she does this on the carpet, remind her not to. The second time send her to sit away from the carpet on the other side of the room.

For the lying, don't bother to ask her. If you know she has done something then reprimand her and punish her if necessary, but don't give her the opportunity to lie. Keep a close eye on her so if she turns round to speak or distract others then you have seen her, you don't need to ask her or others.

2. Thank you for your advice. I will try it tomorrow.

3. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

We have 'teams' on the carpet and the children sit in them, they don't have exact places, but they sit in their team, th first team ready/sitting the quietest/listening the best/joining in the most etc. etc. etc. get a point, team with the most points get a reward at the end of the week. This has helped my shouters/fidgeters as the other children in their team remind them, not just me! Of course, ti doesn't work for everything or everyone, but might be worth a try!

4. SmileAndNod

SmileAndNod New commenter

I have a very similiar child in my class. In terms of her lying, I pushed her to tell the truth on one occasion and then made sure she knew that her punishment had been lessened. Now everytime I suspect that she has done something wrong, I tell her the punishment she would receive for lying versus the punishment she would get if she told the truth. When she tells the truth, I make sure to say thank you and to emphasise that her punishment is being lessened. Seems to have worked!

5. Thank you again for the advice. I will try the above too!

6. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Get the SENCO in to observe the child. Well, that's part of their role ;)
    As for practical advice with this child:
    Sit them away from other children. If you can't keep your hands and feet to yourself, then you're not hurting people sitting next to them. I've found sitting a horror of a child on the front row works a treat as they are constantly on my radar.
    Parents in. Lying is unacceptable. It doesn't matter on the age. What's going on at home?
    Keep a log (triggers / types of incidents etc).
    Positive praise for good behaviour.Possibly a simple reward chart for a good lesson. Sticker at the end of day for behaving?
    'Christmas tree' the class with stickers for all the good things. That sends out a signal you want all too behave. It's amazing how many children fall into line when they see a friend getting rewarded.
    And to be blunt, stick to your guns!