1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difficult and worrying behaviour

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by hubcap, Mar 11, 2012.

1. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Circle time. All your issues can be dealt with by telling a story,(find books PSHE) asking questions, children's answers/thoughts and finishing off with you as the role model telling them what the right thing to do is. Good luck.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not sure I'd put it as simply as 'all your issues can be dealt with by telling a circle time story'.

Make it clear to her repeatedly that SHE will be in trouble if SHE does this or that, regardless of who told her to and then apply consequences every time. Also be very stern with the other children and apply consequences for them every single time you know one of them told her to do something. Be totally consistent and accept no excuses.
    Both of these should be passed on to the CP person. Either COULD, though probably won't, be an indication of things being untoward at home. Pass it on and let them deal with it.
    Do you have a school nurse who could look at these children? Speak to your SENCO and get them involved with the medical issue. Give the child the most difficult work that anyone has in your class. You may feel you are pandering to them, but it also might just surprise you.
    Again pass to CP and/or SENCO. Self harm can indicate all kinds of things. It might be minor, but it needs to be dealt with by professionals.
    Maybe or it might just be being six! They are only just getting used to what is breakable and what not. Don't worry about these children, but ask them constantly to be careful.
    Definitely a job for SENCO/school nurse.

These are not issues to be dealt with by normal classroom behaviour strategies. You need to pass them on.

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Sorry I will just leave you to it next time! I have just spent 2 days on an SEBD course so I do think my opinion counts!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I never said yours didn't count, merely that I disagree.

5. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Young children follow by example because they do not know any better. The way to show them is to discuss, show and tell and give them a role model. I would personally start by circle time and see which children are still a problem, then work at it from there. My opinion.

6. Thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately our school nurse is no where to be seen/ heard of- but I shall work on the rest :)