1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difficult 5 year old!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by minnieminx, Sep 11, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

So when he is removed he gets nothing at all. Is put somewhere safe and is supervised, but no-one interacts with him at all. When he is calm and comes back to class he then completes his work. If time has run out then he completes it at break/lunch/home. While he is rewarded for bad behaviour he isn't going to stop.

Most five year olds are desperate for some a grown up to be in control, they do not have a need for control at all. However if life has taught them so far that adults will hurt them (in all kinds of ways) then they will develop a way of coping which could be refusing to do what anyone says, just in case. He needs to learn that adults in school will not do what he wants and that he does have to do what they want. But this will take a long time, especially as he has already learned the opposite.

Keep on with what you are doing, but be patient. It has take 5 years to create the child in front of you, he isn't going to change overnight.

2. Thanks for that.
    It has only been since the last month of pre school that his personality has changed dramatically from lovely to monster.
    The main problem is that his attitude towards everything changes on a daily basis. Sometimes he refuses to go for lunch and break anyway and other days he can't wait to get outside. He is just very unpredictable which makes it worse, I wouldn't be so on edge if i knew how he was going to react every day.
    The plan is to take away the attention when he is out of the classroom for next week but the first three days, I was trying to get an understanding of what he would be like and how he would settle in.
    I am hoping that he is going to be referred to an educational psychologist but that wont be for at least a month.
    Thank you for your comment.

3. I'm in the same situation as you and I have two that are acting like a tag team. Working together and then taking it in turns to damage and disrupt the classroom. They are so unpredictable one moment fine and then the next springing up and causing chaos. I'm not sure what to do for the best. I've had mixed advice. Some teachers saying come down on them like a ton of bricks and another saying praise them constantly.
    I did praise them constantly on Friday and then for the last ten minutes of the afternoon they decided to sharpen both ends of pencils, whilst I was helping the other children get ready for home time. I'm on my own with them for two afternoons a week so it's difficult to leave the other children to stop them especially when I've got 31 children all together and some of these have their own learning difficulties.
    Going to try a different technique this week and see how it goes.
    Any advice anyone has would be appreciated. Thank you

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My advice would be to do both of these things. If they are naughty then come down on them hard and let them know in no uncertain terms that you are not happy. If they are being good, praise them like there is no tomorrow. Be a little OTT on both occasions.