1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by DiscoBec, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hi all, my school has just been inspected and differentiation has been listed as one of our recommendations. I've got a mixed Reception/Year 1 class and find that differentiation in areas like Maths and KUW is fairly straightforward. However, I find differentiation, other than by outcome, much trickier in writing activities. For example, I know that some of my children are only at the stage of mark-making and need lots of adult support to help them stay on task and actually produce something on paper. On the other hand, I've got those who are writing with near independence but are still limited in terms of the quantity they are able produce. It's worth noting here, that some of my Reception children are more capable than my year 1s but either way, they're still presented with a blank page and it's the adult support that varies from ability to ability.

I'd love a bit of advice on making differentiation much clearer in my planning for writing activities. It seems like a really silly question I know, but I'm new to infants having taught juniors for the last 8 years. This week we're going to be learning about letter writing so some help and advice on differentiation would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Hi all, my school has just been inspected and differentiation has been listed as one of our recommendations. I've got a mixed Reception/Year 1 class and find that differentiation in areas like Maths and KUW is fairly straightforward. However, I find differentiation, other than by outcome, much trickier in writing activities. For example, I know that some of my children are only at the stage of mark-making and need lots of adult support to help them stay on task and actually produce something on paper. On the other hand, I've got those who are writing with near independence but are still limited in terms of the quantity they are able produce. It's worth noting here, that some of my Reception children are more capable than my year 1s but either way, they're still presented with a blank page and it's the adult support that varies from ability to ability.

I'd love a bit of advice on making differentiation much clearer in my planning for writing activities. It seems like a really silly question I know, but I'm new to infants having taught juniors for the last 8 years. This week we're going to be learning about letter writing so some help and advice on differentiation would be much appreciated.

Thanks