1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiation question for interview lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dance49, May 2, 2012.

1. I have an interview coming up requiring my to teach 30 mins maths to a full class of mixed ability year 1/2's. Have been informed I will not be given information on attainment groupings within the class.
    I know what I want to do for the lesson but have now got myself in a complete tiz about how to organise and differentiate when I won't know the kids. I have chosen a number objective and have in mind 3 way differentiated activities, but how will I know how to group the kids for this? I know I should assess in a short starter, but don't think I could get enough from this to accurately group all the kids to the 3 activities. Going round in circles!
    Any advice appreciated

2. I have an interview coming up requiring my to teach 30 mins maths to a full class of mixed ability year 1/2's. Have been informed I will not be given information on attainment groupings within the class.
    I know what I want to do for the lesson but have now got myself in a complete tiz about how to organise and differentiate when I won't know the kids. I have chosen a number objective and have in mind 3 way differentiated activities, but how will I know how to group the kids for this? I know I should assess in a short starter, but don't think I could get enough from this to accurately group all the kids to the 3 activities. Going round in circles!
    Any advice appreciated

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Could the children self-select one of 3 tasks, based on how easy they found the starter activity?

4. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

Could you give them an investigation to do in M/A pairs/groups?

5. I don't think it's possible to differentiate accurately in an interview - you need to know the chn. you just need to show that you are able to differentiate. so as a previous poster said you could have 3 levels of work for the chn to choose which they consider to be their level. You could use AfL. You could do the Must should and could SC to show that you know what you are doing and most important of all on your lesson plan that you give to the observer a short note saying how you would normally differentiate and of course you will be able to explain yourself fully in the interview itself.
    Good luck

6. Thanks for the advice. Thinking of giving them all an initial task, which will be a stretch for some I imagine and consolidation for others. But then have challenge cards at 3 different levels set out for the chn to go and self select depending on how they found initial work. I could then of course point some chn towards the right challege level as well. My only concerns are giving the whole clase the same initial work and whether this will go against me, and whether year 1/2's will self select sensibly. Will give it a go I guess and cross my fingers. Thanks again.