1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiation New Curriculum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teacherman2, Mar 13, 2016.

1. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter

Hi all,

Just wondering whether people still differentiate these days?

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

3. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Can't see how you could ever avoid differentiation. For example, we have Y5 pupils working at a Year 2 Level etc. etc......
    It's poor or non-existent differentiation that causes the gaps to get even bigger.

4. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Of course. Do do otherwise would result in the disenfranchisement of pupils at either end of the ability curve of distribution, i.e. inability to access the curriculum/utter boredom.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Errr yes!
    Even in my current selective prep school with very small classes, there is still planned differentiation!

6. 65536gina

65536gina New commenter

I went to observe another teacher in another school last week and there was no differentiation except for SEND pupils. In my school we do, it's essential, however, in maths, 95% of the class do the same task but it's differentiated by the approach and resources along the concrete-pictoral-abstract model. Then questions of greater depth are given to fit in with the mastery approach for the more able pupils.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I don't differentiate much in English. I have mixed ability pairings. There are different activities, but I don't (usually) direct children to do different ones. They can choose. I've found I've made more progress overall in English this year than any other. Children love it as well (they really feed off of each other). I don't think I'll go back any time soon.

I do differentiate in maths. I guess the idea is that in future years there will be less extremes in differentiation as children will be mastering their year group objectives etc.