1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiation in Music Listening

Discussion in 'Music' started by who_am_I, Jan 8, 2016.

1. who_am_I

who_am_I New commenter

Hello - I'm after some advice/thoughts. I have a large GCSE Year 10 class (30) all with varying abilities. How would one differentiate for a whole class listening lesson? Unfortunately I do not have the facilities to put them into groups and practice rooms, so would anyone be able to suggest how they would approach it? Many thanks :)

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Could you give them all the same listening task but add on extension tasks in varying degrees of difficulty to challenge as appropriate?

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

How about some leveled listening sheets, eg. bronze, silver, gold, with differentiated questions? Bronze could just be naming and identifying (or perhaps even multi-choice), silver could involve some short-answer questions, and gold could require more analytical thinking, longer answers and comparison. Let the students select which level/s they'd like to do.

Or sit the students in ability groups and get them to work together to respond to a set of listening questions.

Or get them in ability groups, give them a listening example (recording) and get them to write their own listening questions.

cazzmusic1 and englishteach101 like this.
  4. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

That's a big group! If you possibly can, I'd split them somehow. Can you get them to choose whether they'd like to have more or less help and explanation during the task to make 2 groups. One group go and practice/ other practical or research task while others do listening work, then swap (presume you have some practice spaces even if not many).
    I would tend to differentiate by support not resources, simply because in the exam they will not have different resources - past paper questions all the way. But lots of checking of vocabulary, etc, for those who need it. You could say that some of them can have their notes or revision guides open if they need to, while others could challenge themselves not to.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  5. who_am_I

who_am_I New commenter

Hi everyone - thank you so much, all fab ideas and have given me much food for thought!

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  6. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

Yes, some sort of carousel lesson could work really well!

cazzmusic1 likes this.