1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiation in literacy- Y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocochick, Sep 4, 2011.

1. chocochick

chocochick New commenter

Hi everyone. I am a newbie here so please excuse me if I am not making sense! I am an NQT and begin teaching in Y1 on Monday. I am so very confused with differentiating in literacy. Maths , I find a little easier but I really struggle with literacy.
    I have been told many mixed messages when planning for writing eg I was told by one teacher that all chn should be given opportunities to write during writing lessons and another told me to do yellow/copy writing with less able. I am confused here. What type of help to you give your SEN/less able when writing? I think it would take ages for me to work with a group and get a decent sentence out of them? What strategies do you use here? How much help do you give them? We are writing captiions next week and I am at a loss!!!!!!
    Likewise, with top ability? What can I use to extend them?
    Sorry for all the questions but I am really desperate and am eager to get it right!!!!
    Many thanks in advanve

2. chocochick

chocochick New commenter

Hi everyone. I am a newbie here so please excuse me if I am not making sense! I am an NQT and begin teaching in Y1 on Monday. I am so very confused with differentiating in literacy. Maths , I find a little easier but I really struggle with literacy.
    I have been told many mixed messages when planning for writing eg I was told by one teacher that all chn should be given opportunities to write during writing lessons and another told me to do yellow/copy writing with less able. I am confused here. What type of help to you give your SEN/less able when writing? I think it would take ages for me to work with a group and get a decent sentence out of them? What strategies do you use here? How much help do you give them? We are writing captiions next week and I am at a loss!!!!!!
    Likewise, with top ability? What can I use to extend them?
    Sorry for all the questions but I am really desperate and am eager to get it right!!!!
    Many thanks in advanve

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Yellow over writing is tracing not writing but it is good for pencil control if not much else.
    If you have children who can't write I would start by getting them to say what they are going to write, count the words, draw a line for each word and then write the sounds they can hear in each word in turn. You may have children who can only identify initial or final sounds.
    Alternatively you could ask them to first write the sentence/caption on a whiteboard so it is easy to edit.
    Top ability I would expect to be able to extend the caption to a few descriptive sentences.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

if it takes ages, it takes ages. i've never done tracing writing. very occasionally i might scribe a sentence for someone who can then copy it underneath, but they would have had to do the thinking and segmenting first. with a bit of help.

5. How do your Y1 classrooms work? If all children sit and work at the same time, then you may have to resort to some copy writing for those times you are supporting your more able.
    My Y1 class last year was run in such a way that my TA and I would work with 2 groups while the others expored activities I had set up.
    Sometimes with my LA I would give them a sentence starter for them to copy and try to finish by sounding out a word. "I saw a... I liked the.." etc. but when working with them as a guided group I would concentrate on getting a simple sentence out of them independantly.
    To do this I would provide them with key words to use and help them to sound out the other words. If it was a really tricky word Id give it them, and would accept any good phonic attempt at a word regardless of spelling. We sometimes would all write the same sentence, or adapt one part of it.
    Every single time we'd "think it, say it, clap it, write it" to ensure they had plenty of time to actually know what sentence they are writing. Its hard because every child in your LA group will need support but you just do your best. Id follow this basic structure every single time we sat down to write, as it is that initial learning how to write a simple sentence that they find hard. When we did story writing etc, I would let them copy my one from the shared write and chance certain bits that I had written in a different color (Normally characters, places etc).
    Also, get some sound/letter/word mats of the internet from one of the teaching resource websites, and have these on the table all the time, especially for your lower groups. They learn to use them independantly, and its quick for you to point to if they ask you how to write a specific sound etc.
    Your HA will be much easier - they can work on their own for a start, though it will not be their best work, but at least they will not all demand your attention constantly! You can then start to develop description and use of connectives to extend sentences.
    I think once you know your children its better. I will work with a group and just target my advice to each child "Could you make that sentence longer and more interesting with a connective word Jack?", "Could you describe it for me Sarah?" etc. It will come naturally once you get started and you know your children.
    If you have any more questions feel free to PM me - it's stopping me from having to think about my own planning!!

6. chocochick

chocochick New commenter

Wow!!! Thanks so much everyone for your advice, it has all really helped me.I think I have a lot of trying things out to do.
    Impulce, thank you so much for your suggestions! I might take you up on your on asking some more questions if you don't mind? what does PM mean?
    Thanks

7. chocochick

chocochick New commenter

Thanks Msz. You said you get the children to write the sounds they hear in the words. Do you leave their sentences as they are then or do you show them how to write the sentence and words correctly?

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It depends what my learning objective is and whether I'm working with the child. Ideally I would support them to listen to and write the sounds through the word (even if not spelled correctly) but I want the child to write independently not to rely on an adult supplying the word lists.

9. PM means private message - you click a persons name then it takes you to their profile where you can click to send a message privately.