1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiation in art lessons

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by Bullsticker, Jun 22, 2007.

1. I am interested in different ways of differentiating in art lessons at any level - and not just by outcome.

What do fellow forum users think/do ?

2. I am interested in different ways of differentiating in art lessons at any level - and not just by outcome.

What do fellow forum users think/do ?

3. This is a really difficult one and I would also be interested in finding new ideas.

The best I manage at the moment is offering less able pupils lots of visual resources and telling faster workers or more able kids to "work into it more" or to evaluate what they have done and compare with other artist's work.

I know it's a bit lame, but would love to hear what other art teachers do.

4. Multiple choice outcome works really well. I usually demonstrate the same things and techniques but each can pursue alternate routes within what they have been taught. No one actually thinks then they are rubbish, get less ba behaviour also.

Worked for me.

5. There are four 4 key ways to differentiate:

1) by outcome. (seems to predominate in Art!)

2) by task - eg mainstream children drawing a simple plant, more able draw a plant with complicated flowers/leaf patterns, SEN children 'draw these leaves' (*very* simple example, but you get my gist!)

3) by resources - eg differentiated worksheets, instructions, guides, extention activities for early finishers etc

4) by support - not just TA's but also how much/little/kind of support you offer.

These apply to all subjects but once you know the 4 basic classifications I find it helps you to focus your thinking.

At one point I was really worried that I didn't differentiate but realised that I was doing 1), 2) and 3) naturally without realising!

Also very good to think (in a SOW as a whole) about different learning styles (ie visual, kinasthetic etc) and how to reach students that way.

hope that helps. For me, I found the idea of differentiation in art very difficult so will be keeping an eye on this topic for more suggestions and advice so keep them comign peeps!

6. The best differentiation relies on knowing your kids, obviously. You can easily plan differentiated tasks for the less able. For more able, it's more difficult, but too woolly to leave it to 'by outcome'. You should be expecting them to work in more meaningful way, whether that is applied to content or process, or both.

One way I start to think about this is by setting out what *I* (as a mature artist) would do if I was doing that project and then build them into the planning. Whether that's working more layers into a painting or exploring some really deep tonal values and textural surface qualities in a drawing, or experimenting with manipulating materials.

Often, these extended qualities are taken up by others in the class anyway as they see the better work and you get more kids working at a higher level. That's when I start to call it 'differentiation by outcome'.

7. Shame so little comments on this thread, was hoping for some more ideas and suggestions!

8. You might want to take a look at this site, it claims to differentiate through delivering the structure of projects 'up front' so pupils can progress at their own pace and challenge.

http://www.artcoursework.com/

don't know about the theory but we have had some great results and response from our sen and G&T.

Good luck.

9. I found this article quite useful: https://naea.digication.com/ericagloveredwards/Differentiation_of_Instruction

10. Identify what you want students to achieve in each lesson by posting ALL/SOME/MOST statements on your whiteboard at start of each lesson. eg/

ALL: Will use two or more mark- making techniques in their drawing.

MOST: Will use two or more mark-making techniques and add tone.

Some: .......and show form

If you can put a level next to each statement then you're in business!

Good luck.