1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiation help!

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Juicey76, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Juicey76

Juicey76 New commenter

Can someone clarify the different ways to differentiate please. My colleagues are confusing me! I'm using a year 2 objective instead of a year 1 since the pupil is already secure in that area. However, I've been told to use the same objective but make it harder!

2. CalypsoDalma

CalypsoDalma New commenter

I don't really see why it's a problem to use a Year 2 objective if you deem it appropriate for the pupil in question...

From my understanding (as an NQT FE teacher), the lesson aim refers to the general area you are teaching (for example, 'using punctuation') and the objectives are the steps taken/activities completed that help the learners to achieve this aim.

Please could you provide more details regarding what you plan to teach most of the class, how this differs from what you want this particular pupil to learn, and what activities you will be doing?

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Differentiation can be done in multiple ways, by input, resources, tasks, output...
    Without knowing what your lo is it's hard to be certain, but I imagine unless the lo is extremely specific then there should be room for developing depth (or mastery) in what is being done. you should be able to change the task this pupil is doing so they need to use higher order thinking skills (e.h. See blooms taxonomy or similar). You could for example get the pupil to teach their peers.

CalypsoDalma likes this.
  4. CalypsoDalma

CalypsoDalma New commenter