1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiation - geography enquiry skills

Discussion in 'Geography' started by elizabeth1972, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I wonder if anyone can give me a few pointers? I'm an NQT in a mixed Y4/5/6 class. I'm being observed by our SIP next week and I know she's heavily into differentation by task. This isn't the way I'd necessarily go if I wasn't being observed, but it's a hoop, it's there and I have to jump through it.
    My lesson is the beginning of a new topic in geography - looking at why a landscape was used for a certain purpose. I have lots of ideas about how to introduce the topic by getting the pupils to work out what it might be following a series of clues, and then create mixed-ability mind-maps about what we already know about the place, including where it is (country, continent, hemisphere, etc).
    The main pupil activity is going to be to find out from reference books, atlases and the internet, why people settled in this area and chose it for a certain industry. Each group will have to produce a presentation board to show the rest of the class, with photos, drawings, text etc to illustrate what they find.
    For our plenary, we will discuss whether there are any similarities with our own locacilty and whether or not that industry could have been set up in our own village.
    I'm happy with my lesson - I think the pupils will be engaged and the plenary will provide good evidence of learning (I hope!). My only worry is differentiation - for less able and more able children.
    Has anybody got any ideas they would be willing to share? Any help would be very gratefully received!
    Thanks.

2. I wonder if anyone can give me a few pointers? I'm an NQT in a mixed Y4/5/6 class. I'm being observed by our SIP next week and I know she's heavily into differentation by task. This isn't the way I'd necessarily go if I wasn't being observed, but it's a hoop, it's there and I have to jump through it.
    My lesson is the beginning of a new topic in geography - looking at why a landscape was used for a certain purpose. I have lots of ideas about how to introduce the topic by getting the pupils to work out what it might be following a series of clues, and then create mixed-ability mind-maps about what we already know about the place, including where it is (country, continent, hemisphere, etc).
    The main pupil activity is going to be to find out from reference books, atlases and the internet, why people settled in this area and chose it for a certain industry. Each group will have to produce a presentation board to show the rest of the class, with photos, drawings, text etc to illustrate what they find.
    For our plenary, we will discuss whether there are any similarities with our own locacilty and whether or not that industry could have been set up in our own village.
    I'm happy with my lesson - I think the pupils will be engaged and the plenary will provide good evidence of learning (I hope!). My only worry is differentiation - for less able and more able children.
    Has anybody got any ideas they would be willing to share? Any help would be very gratefully received!
    Thanks.

3. If you're giving each group a different location, then you could give weaker/stronger groups a simpler/more challenging location to work with. If you need the differentiation within groups then it's harder, but I've had some success (albeit with a GCSE class!) by giving each student a different colour pen for creating a spider diagram and telling them that they're not allowed to swap so that I can be certain that all students are contributing.
    The other alternative would be to assign each pupil within each group a specific task - so maybe internet access for the strongest and atlas work or a simpler reference book for the weakest.
    Good luck!

4. Thank you for your reply. I like both your ideas! I've used the coloured felt tip pen idea before, but hadn't really thought about it in terms of differentation, so thank you for pointing that out to me!
    We really all need to research the same place - but I like the idea of giving group members specific tasks - that could lead nicely into differentiation - some could organise, some could scribe, and as you say, some could use the internet and others use a simple atlas or text. I suppose if I make it really clear that "some of you will be...." and "others will be..." that's differentiation by task?!