1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiation for SEN

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by snugglepot, Nov 15, 2011.

1. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I am expected to do it most of the time.Depends which class as one class has about 9 on the table and the teacher does do it then but I don't see planning unless I take over.I get verbal instruction before school as it is English and Maths only.I do change it if the pupil isn't getting it.

2. Are the pupils set different tasks depending on ability? Or are all pupils expected to complete the same piece of work?

3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

The children in the class are set work to their different abilities. Most of the children on my table are of similar ability but some may need more support with reading questions and setting out their work.They start with the same work but I may have to read to a child who has EAL or the child who has SEN.I use a small white board and support with this so I can then move on and support someone else.By the time one is finished I have sorted another.They rarely have to wait and sometimes two or three will need support with the same question so I would then go over it with a smaller group.If they are not understanding at all I would change it by breaking it down or changing it completely.I always speak to the teacher afterwards and sometimes jot notes down on individuals.The teacher and I have worked together on and off for many years so we understand and respect each other.It works well for us. It is quite a large class and a split year group so I think it would be too difficult to differentiate for every child.

4. Teaching in guided groups will allow the teaching input to be differentiated, not simply the task.
    I'm disappointed that some teachers are passing the buck of differentiation to their LSAs. Do the teachers work all abilities, including the lower ability/SEN? Because they should be.

5. I work with a teacher who teaches all ability groups. We each take a turn with every group so every group receives teacher support once a week and TA support once a week. (Sorry, very repetitive). She has been praised by OFSTED for this. She also plans for SEN but leaves it to me to adapt the work if needs be.
    It concerns me that in many classes children are only ever taught by TAs. They even miss out on the 'whole class' introduction.