1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

differentiation by task/outcome

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Crownie13, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Hi I am a PGCE student, trying to get my head around it!
    Diff by task - assessment made from different tasks for different ability (groups).
    Diff by outcome - assessment made from same task for all abilities.
    Assuming I am correct there...if, for example, the activity was to sequence pictures. I gave HA 7 pictures to sequence, and I gave LA 3 pictures to sequence...would this still count as diff by task even though it is a similar task? Or if children were doing a role play of a story, but it was planned in for LA to have a lot more adult guidance, would this be diff by task or outcome?
    Also, can one feed into the other? So, children required to draw a story map but LA planned in to have alot more guidance/questioning (diff by task?). Would it be plausible for diff by outcome to become present within the LA group itselfs, with some children with questioning able to draw middle aspects but some not?

Thankyou for any help :) x

2. With the approach mentioned there you are effectively only doing differentiation by outcome as HA are doing 7 whilst LA are only doing 3 - i.e. HA are just doing more. They're still doing the same task regardless of how much help they get (although you could certainly argue you're personalising the help available).

To change it to be differentiation by task you'd need to do something where both groups have the same "amount" of work (roughly) but make the task more difficult for HA. I'm not sure which subject / topic / KS you're referring to so excuse my ignorance with the example, but something like the following would be diff by task - HA could state how to sequence, then actually sequence a few pictures and then explain what they've done & why they've done it. LA could choose some pictures that relate to the outcome and then sequence them.

As a Keystage 4 & 5 teacher I tend to have LA students focus on the doing and have the HA students always thinking about what they're doing and justifying what they've done - particularly if there is more than one way to do a task.

I think of differentiation by task as imagining a 100m race between a really strong athlete and a not-so strong athlete. To make it an even race, stick some hurdles on the faster racer to slow him down and really think about what he's doing, not just extend the track.

3. Thankyou for your reply - very helpful!
    So for example, we had a story box activity. The HA worked together with very little adult support to sequence the objects and then had to explain the relevence of each object to the story. The LA also used the box, and I took the objects out of the box already in order and they described how each object related to the story, with questioning from myself.
    Would you say this would be differentiation by outcome (with personalisation) or by task?
    Thankyou

4. p.s. sorry should have said, reception children!