1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiating year 1 science?? How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocciemad, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi everyone. I always used to have a little carousal of activities which chn rotated around and which were linked to the LO. The HT is now insisting that activities are now differentiated and I am just interested in how others do this for y1's?
    Thanks

2. Hi everyone. I always used to have a little carousal of activities which chn rotated around and which were linked to the LO. The HT is now insisting that activities are now differentiated and I am just interested in how others do this for y1's?
    Thanks

3. We work in groups and the input with the group work will vary according to the understanding of the children in the group so my differentiation is through my support. I also use ASE resources in my planning. You may find this website useful on differentiation
    http://www.primaryschoolscience.com/sen/sen-differentiation.php

4. My differnentiation would also be through support but also in the level and ways of recording the child does.

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

Hi
    We have to have a mix of differentiation through outcome, support and activities. We use Chris Quigley and his success criteria for different levels to help differentiate activities. So for example if we're doing an investigation LA will make measurements based on observation and record in prepared/group chart whilst HA will use measuring equipment and record in their own tables. I also expect more able to provide more detailed explanations e.g. LA would say what we need to survive, whilst HA would explain what we need, but also what happens if we don't have food/water.