1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiating / support for SEN child

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Grandsire, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Hi,

My new class has a child who is years behind in reading and writing, and can't stay on task independently - to be honest, the child really can't do anything at all unless they have an adult working with them 1:1 all the time.... However, for various reasons, they don't have any specific 1:1 support assigned to them at all.

I will have a TA for the mornings only - and the TA is supposed to support all the class, not one particular child as the class as a whole have a lot of progress to make up, and there are other children (admittedly nowhere near so far behind) who need support too.

As to what I teach the child, I feel completely at a loss to know where to start. I can see that 'differentiation' of the lessons I teach isn't going to be enough - this child needs completely different lessons planned and prepared - and aside from the workload that will create, I'm really not experienced enough with this level to know what's best.

So, do I assign my TA to work with the child every morning? She knows more than me about the sort of work the child will need to do. How on earth can I support this child in the afternoons lessons? Do I devise a 'buddy' rota for help with reading and scribing for them?

Suggestions welcome.

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I have had this issue this year. The child basically sits through my input in English and topic (we set for maths so it's less of an issue then) then has individual work to do in English. Sometimes this is a simplified version of what the others are doing, or the same task with support from me or my TA. Other times it's something like handwriting practise or a phonics worksheet which he can do sort of independently. To be honest it's really hard, he's not made as much progress as I'd like and I spend a lot of time moaning at the senco. And nothing is more irritating than in pupil progress meetings when I'm asked what extra I'm doing to move the very clever pupil premium child as she's a bit stuck...well nothing, as actually, she's fine, and this boy can't write.

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Thank you for replying!

I think my TA will take the child out for 1:1 during my whole-class input (it's completely over the child's head anyway), and then she can come back in to work with others as needed while the child gets on with something appropriate like handwriting, or sentence reconstruction or a greatly-simplified version of the main task, if that is possible. The problem is really that the child has a very limited spoken vocabulary, really poor knowledge of phonics and letter formation, and no ideas at all - left alone, they just sit there, breathing and rolling pencils along the table. But I've at least 30 other children who need to make progress too - and this one child could absorb all my time and energy if I'm not careful.

4. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

I have had this several times over the years.

I have a bank of activities that they can be trained to do independently. e.g. in maths I have the 0-100 cards on a variety of colours (each ten is a different colour). I use this in the class input time and get them to order the cards into their own hundred square type arrangement. Obviously at the start of the year this is too hard so I start with ten and then extend to more numbers as they get confident. I have pair games with high frequency words and pairs of vowel phoneme words etc. They can play a pairs matching game on their own for 5- 10 minutes. Change the words but keep the format of the activity the same so you are not constantly reteaching them. Use a picture with a sentence e,g, the cat is brown. Then give the child a similar picture to write a sentence about e,g, a dog.

I also bought lots of games from secondhand shops, car boots etc - puzzles and toddler type games that they could use - there is usually a favourite and it is amazing how many alternative uses you can think of for a game!

If your TA is able to do some quality input in some part of the lesson I think having something the child can do independently is ok if you and the TA need to focus on the rest of the class.

Do you have talking tins or something similar? I used to use a language master which would record a child speaking a sentence.