1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentiating at KS4

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Trendy Art, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Dear all in DT, hope you don't mind me posting here (as I teach IT and line manage DT) and I would like some advice from the experts.

I have noticed from popping into lessons that deadlines are not met with KS4 CATs. E.g. students are in between doing their research and some are getting ahead into the workshop. So lessons lose pace because teacher gets compromised by being in between research, cutting lists, workshop and differentiation becomes difficult.

What best bit of advice would you give to managing this period efficiently so students get back on track and complete to an agreed deadline?

2. cosybear

cosybear New commenter

The trick is to strictly enforce the interim deadlines, I assume your staff have these and copies are given to students and parents, poster size versions are on the walls, reminders are in the school calendar. Make a big deal of these so tor example everyone in the school knows that the research deadline for y11 DT is coming up on Monday 11th at 9 o'clock Use detentions call them catch up sessions, letters home to parents, name and shame lists. All of the usual stuff just piled on thickly I used to run a three strikes and you are out rule but I doubt you'd get away with that these days but you could try. Unfortunately some DT staff are sometimes very laid back about deadlines and some are not above doing the work for the students in order to make sure they end up with a finished product and to hide their own disorganisation Do be very aware of this

3. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Agree @cosybear set and publish deadlines and any student not on target must be followed up by Year Leader/ HOD - so it is seen as a 'big deal'. Students soon know they can't get out of it, I have even told students in the past that interim work is sent to examiner etc to make it real!