1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

differentiated 'settings' lesson year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by comenius, Feb 1, 2011.

1. comenius

comenius New commenter

Hi everyone - looking for a bit of advice as I feel I'm going round in circles at the moment. School is clamping down on differentiation and we aren't supposed to be differentiating by outcome or support!!!!! I'm not really sure about differentiating a settings lesson and hope someone can help!
    On Monday we are using the scholastic thru the keyhole activity on IWB to explore the Giant's castle in Jack and the Beanstalk - they will put be Jack and generate adjectives to describe what they can see, hear, feel, smell and taste.
    On Tuesday they are going to use the word banks from Monday to write descriptions of the castle. This is where I'm getting stuck! SEN will have a large group poster with an image of the setting in the middle and will scribe adjectives around it, orally putting them into sentences (they miss Mondays lesson ue to intervention time). I'm finding it hard to think of differentiated activities for the other 3 abilities that aren't differentiated by outcome.
    Maybe HA could write their sentences in context of postcard/note to Jack's Mum describing castle or an advert to sell the Giants castle?
    I would be really grateful for any ideas/advice anyone could give?!? Thanks

2. comenius

comenius New commenter

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

last try - anyone?!?

4. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Hi Comenius!
    Think it sounds great!
    Could they write Warning signs to go on the beanstalk to stop anyone wanting to climb up? Could HA try to use 2 adjectives in their sentence?
    Sure it will be fab what ever you decide.

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

Thanks clawthorpegirl :0) I like the warning signs idea, maybe for the middle group!!

6. I find differentiation by anything other than outcome/ support so difficult.
    Im also having trouble with pace--how many children do you work with each day and what are your children doing when they are not with you--continuous provision?
    My HT isnt into continuous provision and Im struggling to make this work. Any ideas?

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

How about you give the initial letter of adjectives for them to think of (top group) eg. Say the adjectives have to start with either t, s, g, a, or d. They then have to apply thinking skills to the activity. They could mak a seperate list of adjectives that don't fit into your given criteria.

8. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I would have differentiated success criteria based on sentence structure - eg HA need to use CL/full stops, MA finger spaces, but that's just based on the level of my Y1s. Maybe HA could write more complex sentences including connectives? Good luck -I think it sounds like a lovely lesson x.

9. I don't know if this is any consolation, but I promote an approach to differentiation for phonics and basic literacy skills of:
    Using the same alphabetic code resources but knowing the children:
    1) access them at their own level
    2) receive different levels of supervision or can work independently when able
    3) work at own speed until given points - and then extension work provided for quicker children
    4) resources include shorter words and longer words from the outset
    5) slower-to-learn children can receive extra teaching/time

The thing is, the notion of giving differentiated resources is really quite arbitrary. This fully dawned on me when I was looking at three levels of 'differentiated' resources of a colleague in charge of a Rec/Y1/Y2 class. The work that she planned for Year 2 was what I would have planned for Reception.
    So, I extended this thought to all settings. Who is to say exactly 'what' is fit for purpose. The more complicated we make our resourcing and classroom management, the more thinly our time and attention is spread.
    In most areas of learning there is a body of knowledge to learn/assimilate and some subject specific skills to learn. These are common to all the children. How they manage that content is dependent upon them as invididuals but we can address this quite readily by our instructions and varying expectations - that is the personalisation part.
    The trouble is, who asks teachers about their general classroom management and philosophies nowadays? No-one.
    Everything we are expected to do and what we are judged by is piecemeal and far to detailed for day in and day out teaching and learning.

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Comenius says they are no longer allowed to differentiate by outcome or level of support. Where do the latest notions on differentiation come from, and which national body is recommending them / "dictating" them at the moment?
    I went on a return to teaching course recently, and when we were given some example lesson plans with some crude attempts at differentation between higher, middle, and lower level groups I had heartsink, both for children I will teach and my own children.
    One of the plans handed out to us was for a year 8 music lesson on composing a piece of music. The differentation was done by how many notes each group was allowed to use on the keyboard and in their composition!!
    First of all the way children are lumped into these three groups in some schools has a degree of arbitrariness already, and then your guess as to what will suit them in any one lesson is also arbitrary. I really cannot make sense of it as it is described these days. Years ago I would have dealt with a topic by having some basics that everyone needed to cover, building up to some fairly open ended tasks that each child would have taken to their own limits, and then some means of ensuring that everyone took on board as much of the higher level stuff as possible via consolidation, homework etc.
    How do these upper, middle, lower groups work in primaries at the moment? Are they three fixed groups in which children sit all the time? Or can children sit mixed ability and receive different tasks according to their ability? Who has determined their ability in that subject and how? etc etc
    Do schools have to have clear policies on how they do all of this or is it up to each classroom teacher to do it their own way?

11. comenius

comenius New commenter

Thanks for all your replies [​IMG]
    Char2505 we are looking at success criteria too and the powers the be want our success criteria to be genre based, which is OK for key stage 2, but not appropriate for key stage 1 (in our school at least). So our success criteria isn't supposed to be linked to their writing targets/next steps for learning! We are tryiing to argue the case that in key stage 1 we should be developing the basic skills our children need to become confident writers and that is what the success criteria needs to be.
    This sounds just right debbie. It's how key stage 1 has always approached differentiation in literacy. I just hope we can stick with it.

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Differentiation by classroom organisation (grouping) why not have mixed ability groups/pairs?
    As the group of SEN children have missed the initial input (why do schools do that?) they are disadvantaged.

13. comenius

comenius New commenter

They didn't miss the initial input, they went out of class after the whole class teaching session.

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry I misunderstood when you said they miss Mondays lesson