1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

differentiated continuous provision...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by breadmaker, Mar 11, 2011.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

I agree that c.p. shouldn't be differentiated, but as most SMT seem to feel that the only curriculum worth hgavingg is a top-down pre-determined one, then

2. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Sorry, don't know how that went up when I hadn't finsihed! I was going to say, maybe you could just put on the extension and how you would resources that for each c.p. activity.

3. I also don't think you can differentiate continuous provision, but maybe you could put different challenges for different groups of children? Or what you'll be looking for / assessing which will be different for different children?

If you're limiting who can use what resources in what way then it's not really continuous provision surely?

4. Continuous provision SHOULD be differentiated! We have Continuous provision sheets in each of the areas in the room which we use as our Medium Term Plan. The resources available all the time are listed and the resources are differentiated i.e. different sized paint brushed in craft area or different sized pens/pencils in workshop or writing area. This reflects the different fine motor abilities of the children. In the Maths area you may have beads - you can provide a range of sized beads. Also we have a variety of number lines, some 1-10 and others 1-20. You should have a variety of different construction resources available linked to needs of the children. For example lego for more able children and duplo for those who still need to practice joining blocks. I have a child who struggles with hand eye co-ordination and so i have made sure i have a resource that caters for their need. If you walk around each area in your classroom, you should know why those resources have been provided and for what group of children. Your continuous provision should also change as the year goes on to reflect the differing needs of the children. Other areas are more by outcome such as role play. On your continuous provision sheets there should be example questions that staff could ask and obviously the staff working/playing with the children will differentiate the questions they ask the children depending on the ability of that child. Also, your enhanced provision may link to a particular group of children or child that you have observed and picked up a next step for! Children in Nursery and Reception should have at least 1 hour uninterrupted CIL time and so you need to make sure that the resources you have provided are going to have an impact on their learning and not just a 'holding' activity.

Child Initiated Learning should be solely the child' choice. They should be able to choose what they want to play with, how they want to play with it and where! The adult is their to help facilitate the learning to take it on and observe. As soon as you put a resource out on a table, this is no longer CIL as you have initiated what they children should play with and how.

The no longer have CIL plans but just enhancement plans. We may enhance 2 or 3 areas per week depending on our observations of need or interest. On the simple enhancement plans we have an area to list where enhancement has come from - particular child you have observed and their need or interest. Also questions the staff may ask which can be differentiated. Hope this helps.

5. Great reply, Jodie.

There's nothing wrong with offering challenges to the children, but if you set challenges before the play starts the activity is no longer a CI activity. Differentiation of continuous provision or CI has to come from a range of choices within the resources, and a range of responses from any adult who is supporting. We have differentiated questions and vocabulary for adults to use displayed in the different areas. Challenge can be introduced subtly by the adults during an activity, as long as it doesn't involve them taking control (if it's supposed to be CI), through question and suggestion.

Differentiation for progress can be built in by planning resources. In nursery you might supply playdough, in reception you might decide on plasticine with the objective of having the children experience a different material. Or you could limit, change or expand the range of tools available for each term.