1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Differentation, let me down

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I was observed by ofsted. The fedback was that I didn't give my level 5 readers the opportunity to read the model text for themselves.
    I could kick myself because I always do. I explained this to them.
    They also said that the gifted and talented writers could potentially be held back because I paired them with a less able child.

I can see their point and therefore tomorrow I would like to show them that I have changed my planning in respect of that.
    Just wondering how I would do this.
    The low ability and average ability children did struggle to plan a problem and resolution so I thought that I would inspire these children with more ideas whilst the more able went off and got on with their planning. Maybe using fancy dress hats and asking them to get in role.
    This won't last the hour.
    Mr Benn is heavy on dialogue between characters would it be worthwhile to spend the intro of the lesson doing an activity based around speech. The G&T chn will then be further on than the rest so they could feedback their plan to the rest in the plenary. Can the chn identify the problem and resolution etc?

I think you can tell that I'm desparate to make a good impression.

2. Differentiation*

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Did you L5 children include a complication as well as problem and resolution?

4. No, because their objective was to show that they had a clear understanding of audience and purpose.
    Stupidly, (because I was being observed), I wanted to stick to the Mr Benn structure.
    Tomorrow, I will ask these children to go away and plan a complication into their story.

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

How stupid. I do that sometimes as well and it does elp the lower ability see it from a different point of view. It helps give them some ideas that haven't been fed by the teacher.

Now, if you did this every single lesson I could see their point but thy wouldn't know that at all.

6. Marlin
    Have you got any suggestions on how to include a complication into a story of Mr Benn.
    I teold a story about Mr Benn the Diver - Problem two submarines wanted a picture of the sea monster but the monster was too frightened to come out. Resoultion - Mr Benn tricked the submarines, told them to dress as monsters and meet in a certain place, here the submarines photographed each other. They left thinking they each got the photograph they wanted.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

One of the submarines could arrive too early (possibly might see the other submarine out of costume)so Mr Ben has to persuade the early sub to go away for a while and come back.

8. did they tell you wat grade they gave you?

9. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Forgive me if I'm not up to date with my reading but I understood that research showed that pairing mixed ability was a good thing and that it was in fact the more able child who got the most from the interaction. I believe the finding was that having to explain and develop the ideas and thinking supported lots of learning. I do it quite often, I wouldn't pair my most able with least, the difference would have to be closer , so a top with a middle and a middle with a lower perhaps. Think hard about why you chose the pairings and then fight your corner. Challenge them if you think you're right. IMHO anyway, or am I just getting more bolshy the further we get into the summer term - teaching year 6 is rubbing off on me!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I rarely use mixed ability pairs because I remember being paired with less able children at school and it drove me nuts. I spent more lessons explaining what to me were dead basic concepts than I did learning anything.

I'd definitely not have done it for an observation lesson that is for sure.

11. Do you remember what it was that you taught to them?
    I use HA/LA partnerships as it allows HA to reinforce what they have learned by explaining it to a LA child - often having to paraphrase/summarise concepts delivered by the teacher.

12. I remember that too, in mixed ability lessons.
    Exactly. Imagine trying to write an essay and a colleague is sitting next to you writing the same essay, only he hasn't got a clue what to write. As soon as you begin to write a sentence he asks you, "What should I write? I don't know how to do it! Can you help me?" You can't concentrate on your own work, but have to constantly ensure your partner is doing his correctly.