1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Different ways to start a sentence lesson ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by I_like_food, May 3, 2011.

1. Any help greatly appreciated, am slightly panicking!

x

2. deanow

deanow New commenter

I have used a similar approach to Minnieminx in a Year 2 class. We start with a very simple sentence such as The cat ran. Then we describe the cat, then how it ran, when it ran, change ran to another verb, change the order of the words etc. It took a while for the children to get the hang of this but they now love the challenge! I've also found that when we talk about their writing I can refer back to this "game" and they find it easier to edit their work independently.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I do that activity deanow with my year 6 class. Possibly the final sentence is higher in my class due to age, but the starting point is the same. Even with reception children this term, you could probably do the same activity, but much shorter and just adding an adverb.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. I do starting with a subordinate clause by writing a sentence with a connective on a strip of paper...
    • The cat ate the mouse because it was hungry.
    Then cut the sentence into 2 bits in between mouse and because.
    Next swap the order of the bits of paper and adjust punctuation accordingly
    • Because it was hungry, the cat ate the mouse.
    The physical act of cutting sentences up and swapping the bits around seems to help some children visualise what is actually going on! I've done this with Year 2s as well as Upper Juniors.
    C x

6. Thanks for all your ideas so far!

It's a Year 4 class but we are doing discussion texts at the moment, so I am struggling to think of a lesson about varying sentence openers in a non-fiction context.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Discussion texts need illustrating/ additional/cause & effect/contrasting openers/connectives
    examples
    illustrating-such as, for instance
    additional- also, as well as
    cause & effect- because, so, as a result
    contrasting- on the other hand.
    Then there's the example already given, about reversing the order.
    'ly' opener- Similarly
    Pie Corbett (already recommended) has good resources.The VCOP triangle helps with openers & connectives & gives approximate levels at which to use what.