1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Different ways of flavouring cous cous?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, Mar 2, 2009.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'm really into cous cous at the moment and am wondering if anyone has some more interesting ways of flavouring it. At the moment I just crumble a stockcube (ususally vegetable) into the water I pour on the cous cous. While this is ok it is beginning to get a little boring so wondered if anybody had some alternatives?

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'm really into cous cous at the moment and am wondering if anyone has some more interesting ways of flavouring it. At the moment I just crumble a stockcube (ususally vegetable) into the water I pour on the cous cous. While this is ok it is beginning to get a little boring so wondered if anybody had some alternatives?

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Add Stuff to it.

Stuff = anything you fancy!

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Do you mean mix it in with salad etc? As I don't like it like that - I can't be doing with hot foods and cold foods mixed together. I like having it *with* other things though. For example for dinner today I had stir-firied chicken and vegetables with cous cous. Last week I had mustard pork escalopes, broccoli and cous cous.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I add things like:
    Griddled aubergine, courgette, mushroom, onion, leek, peppers, halloumi...
    Sweetcorn, peas
    Feta, dried apricots, sultanas
    Herbs, spices
    And so on.
    All can be warm or cold!

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A bit of lime zest (very fine!) gives it a nice zing. It is especially nice if you are serving the cous cous with fish.

7. I often do it with seeds - sunflower and sometimes sesame in particular. Start by heating a little olive oil and gently frying the seeds until they are browned / pop, then add the cous cous and stir to coat with oil before adding boiling water (and possibly a little bit of stock cube). I also often add finely chopped sun-dried tomato.

8. It is nice flavoured with coriander and lime.
    Or with cinnamon (sp?) and a handful of raisens mixed in.

9. apple and spring onion

or use it instead of breadcrumbs to make chicken dip things. I forget the real name

10. I like cooking it in chicken stock with chopped spring onions, a dash of lemon juice and some harissa, then I stir in some roasted peppers. Delicious!
    I also love the lime and coriander combination that CQ mentions.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

When making the Libyan Cous-cous, I add some of the hot (chilli) liquid from the stew to the cous-cous.

Normally a **** of butter or olive oil, plus any of these:- chopped peppers, peas, pine-nuts, chopped apricots, sultanas or raisins, grated carrot, sliced spring onions, harissa, ras-al-hanout, chopped coriander or parsley, chopped mint-for a lamb dish, chopped chives, thyme leaves, sweetcorn, no end to the list really!

12. Hadn't thought of adding ras-al-hanout but will do so next time, I love the flavour

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Some great ideas here - thanks everyone - I knew it was a versatile food I think I've just got stuck in a rut with it. I will be trying the lime juice and coriander tomorrow and will try some of the others next week - thanks again everyone!

14. FlyingFoxBat

FlyingFoxBat New commenter

I usually add Dolmio Sweet Pepper Stir-in to my cous cous.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Blimey..................this thread lay dormant since 2009!

16. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It should have. Best thing to do with cous-cous? Throw it away, it's minging.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whilst I doubt that the OP will still be reading, FFB might like to try googling a few Moroccan recipes before s/he next throws a jar of gloop into the couscous!

18. Grace100

Grace100 New commenter

Make a base sauce by frying onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, and other mixed veg.
    Use mixed herbs, five spice, garlic and ginger to season
    Use soy sauce or tumeric to give some colour.
    Now add your sauce to the couscous. I feel like making this tomorrow just as i am writing.
    Hmmm

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Try using moghrabieh for a change.

http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/lebanese-couscous-moghrabieh/

In general in the M.E. and North Africa, couscous is used as a starch with spicy well flavoured stews, eg tagines.
    If you like spicy hot food, Libyan food is good, spicy but not so hot try Lebanese, Syrian, Jordanian, Palestinian.