1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Different types of autobiographical writing

Discussion in 'English' started by mdavid, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I am trying to think of different examples of autobiographical writing to use as stimulus material when teaching this unit. So far I have got Roald Dahl's Boy, Gerald Durrell's My family and other animals and an extract from Peter Kay's book. Does anyone have any other ideas about extracts that pupils might find interesting and accessible?

Many thanks in advance.

2. I am trying to think of different examples of autobiographical writing to use as stimulus material when teaching this unit. So far I have got Roald Dahl's Boy, Gerald Durrell's My family and other animals and an extract from Peter Kay's book. Does anyone have any other ideas about extracts that pupils might find interesting and accessible?

Many thanks in advance.

3. how about anne frank?

4. Maresa Brand

Maresa Brand New commenter

I use several extracts that approach this task from different perspectives, including "The Catcher In The Rye" which, although obviously not autobiography, fits the genre and has encouraged more able students to read the novel. I've got a SOW PPT that I will send if you email your address, it may not be until last week before we go back though as I'm off on holiday and I think the SOW is on work computer!!

5. Thanks for your ideas, I would really appreciate a copy of the sow. I will email you back with the finished product! Hope you enjoy your hols!

ecdalton@talktalk.net

6. 'Castaway'
    Samuel Pepy's diary
    Rumer Godden 'A Time to Dance'
    Life in the Day articles in The Times magazine
    Heat magazine 'My Favourite Things'

7. 'Chinese Cinderella'

8. Check out Nigel Slater's cookery books (or his autobiography 'toast') In amongst the recipes in the cookery books are memoies of his childhood told through food. The section on 'pineapple' or 'a world without chocolate' are good examples and could inspire some P&I writing of their own.

9. emilybronte

emilybronte New commenter

Is it possible to grab a copy? Am teaching autobiography to bottom set year.10 for the first time!

emily-bronte@hotmail.co.uk

thanks,
    Emily.