1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Different standards for outstanding schools?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by becktonboy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Not with any realistic chance of success, since capability proceedings can only be undertaken where the teacher is failing to meet the appropriate professional standards (for class teacher, post-threshold or AST/Excellent teacher), which are not determined by dubious OFSTED style gradings.

2. That's interesting. My school is insisting that anything "judged" as less than good is unacceptable because of the negative impact it would have on other staff, parents, school reputation etc..... oh, yes and on the students...

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My school is in the process of 'supporting' anyone whose teaching is deemed to be less than good. And in fact 'supporting' those whose is good to become outstanding.

Whose? Who's? I dunno!

4. 'Who's' is abbreviated 'who is', 'whose' is possessive; it's like 'it's' and 'its'.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That was what I though, but wasn't sure. Thank you.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

that is at least a valid argument and one the school could pursue by providing appropriate support (not observations and crappy 'how to be a good teacher' courses - they are indicative of a clueless, possibly vindictive management). Real support would be team teaching, regular access to an experienced classroom teacher for mentoring, coaching, planning support etc etcPoint is, capability is a different beast for the reasons I highlighted before.