1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Different soups....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by applepieplease, Oct 28, 2011.

1. I'm always looking for new and exciting soups to make- get fed up eating the same ones over and over... some favourites are
    celery and lentil
    Nigellas sunshine soup
    Spanish tomato soup with bread
    leek and potato
    butternut squash
    general throw any veg you have in a soup soup!

Don't want to add cream into soups either..... any good suggestions? or shall I make my trusty celery and lentil for the 500th time!

all ideas welcome!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Spicy parsnip.

3. my favourites are leek and potato, pumpkin with various seasonings and throw in everything vege soup.
    other good ones are broccoli chowder, lentil soup with lots of herbs and tomatoes or curried, cauliflower pesto soup, mushroom, and roasted red pepper soup.

4. ljr

ljr New commenter

I found a bargain box of tomatoes at a farm shop recently and tried this recipe - its so much better than the tins.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2075/tomato-soup

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

French onion soup, sweet potato and apple, carrot and coriander, spiced carrot and orange, pea and cumin soup, beetroot and apple are some of my favourites. Do you want specific recipes or are you just looking for ideas?

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Lentil and sausage - can be veggie sausage.
    Spicy pumpkin.
    Sweet potato with cannelini (sp?) beans and curry spices.
    Thick Split Pea
    Tomato and Pepper (chilled in summer, hot in winter)
    Leftover Veg and Barley
    Sprout (I love sprouts - and they make a lovely soup...but I do like to add a little joghurt...if you don't want cream could you add this?)

7. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

The soups I always make are:
    Spicy parsnip and apple - it includes 'low fat' coconut milk, could use that instead of cream?
    Roasted squash, apple and chilli
    Chickpea, chilli and lime
    Carrot and coriander
    Broccoli and cheddar (Stilton makes me very poorly, so I use cheddar instead)
    Leek and potato - haven't made this for ages, as Mr W thinks it tastes like gravy...
    And finally, I'm guessing not for you, but coq-a-leekie also.

8. some great suggestions..thanks..and some different ones too. Mmmm going to use these for inspiration!

9. One of Adebloke's great favourites / successes is a clear soup with potato, leek and spinach. Don't know where he keeps the recipe, I'll track it down. It's delish.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sounds yummy. Recipe PLEASE!
    I'm a great fan of clear soups and have a few in my repertoire.

11. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Roast tomato, red pepper and chilli has to be a winner.
    Pea and garlic is pretty good too

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I love clear soups, and especially clear soups/broths with lumps. Asian noodle soups are a massive fave. I'm also partial to a consomme or broth with tortellini or other stuffed pasta in. Chicken broth with tortellini of chicken, pancetta and mortadella is one of the ultimate feel good soups for me.
    With pureed soups, I like to sieve them or pass through a mouli as I like them extremely smooth and light, such as this one:
    Cream of Celery Soup - Chop a washed head of celery, leaves and all and add with a chopped onion to a pan in which you've melted a decent quantity of unsalted butter. Cook gently til soft but not coloured (about 20 minutes). Add a teaspoon or so of celery salt, a peeled cubed potato and a litre or so of light stock (veg or chicken). Simmer for about 30 minutes til all is very tender. Blend in batches until totally pureed, then push through a sieve. Add about 1/4 pint of double cream, warm through and season (with normal salt, this time, and white pepper).
    Sometimes I use double the amount of celery and stop once cooked and strain the broth and just have a celery consomme. You can go further and clarify it but I can never be arsed.
    Mushroom consomme is another favourite, especially spiked with Madeira. Also good for stuffed tortellini or pasta. Cream of mushroom soup also.
    I love cream of chicken soup when I need a lift. I poach a couple of chicken breasts in stock til only just cooked and in another pan, soften the white of a couple of leeks in butter. Then add the chicken and the stock to the leeks, season with salt and white pepper and cook for about 10 minutes. The puree in batches until totally smooth and push through a sieve. Warm through, then add a few glugs of cream with an egg yolk beaten through it and stir through off the heat. Ace with tiny croutons.

13. Our recent favourite is a seafood chowder, made as soup for day one's lunch and reduced into more of a stew for dinner the next day.

Yum!! Needs fresh parsley btw